It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
(female)

MimiRo HB User
Arrow For how long will I have to be on proton pump inhibitors?

Hi all,
I had a rather nasty situation last year, turned out I had a peptic ulcer (my years old GP had no clue about) and I barely pulled through because it came to the point of inflammation and rupture. Now I'm better, living completely differently, but neither my gastroenterologist nor my GP are able to tell when will I be able to function completely without medication. Anyone had similar experience or any idea?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: For how long will I have to be on proton pump inhibitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiRo View Post
Hi all,
I had a rather nasty situation last year, turned out I had a peptic ulcer (my years old GP had no clue about) and I barely pulled through because it came to the point of inflammation and rupture. Now I'm better, living completely differently, but neither my gastroenterologist nor my GP are able to tell when will I be able to function completely without medication. Anyone had similar experience or any idea?
Hi I read a book by Dr. Batmanghelidj that says something to the effect that water is the best cure for ulcers because it helps with the mucous barrier in the stomach. This barrier keeps the acids from eating the stomach. Plenty of water is essential for this. When a patient came in his office suffering with abdominal pain he used to tell them to have a glass of water if it felt a little better he would tell them to have more. Most people do not drink enough water. It is easy to forget. I would not drink during meals. I would wait a little time afterward and not drink 20 minutes before a meal but the rest of the time drink plenty. Some people have said 50 ounces per one hundred pounds of body weight is best. He said many people when they feel hungry between meals are not hungry at all but thirsty. It also sounds like a different GP might have been a good idea since he had no clue. Some people have had relief from many a heartburn attack with a glass of water. It dilutes hydrochloric acid. I hope this information is found useful to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

MimiRo HB User

Thank you, yes it always is good to drink enough water, especially in my case where water is basically all I can drink (occasional sodas or a drink still can cause me massive problems). Still, I wouldn't dare to rely on water alone and don't take my prescription. But it has become both mentally and financially draining. And who wouldn't want to know when will I return to at least a bit of my life before all that.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Oh yes I would agree alcohol is very bad for the stomach and soda may neutralize the stomach acid for a little time but then the stomach must work very hard to make more acid to digest the food and will then cause pain because it wears it out. If money must be spent perhaps a distiller or water filter to distill or filter the water might be best. I would dare to use mostly water or freshly made vegetable or fruit juices since I think these are the healthiest.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It's tough to say. Certainly, you don't want to risk perforating again!

When you do quit, it will probably be necessary to taper off slowly. Sometimes, when you stop taking a PPI, the acid level in the stomach "rebounds" and gets higher than before. A careful taper will usually take a few months.

Studies show that all PPIs are equally effective at equivalent doses, so you can ask to be switched to the least expensive PPI available, to reduce the strain on your wallet.

Most fruit juices aren't good for someone with ulcers, just due to the acid content. I can drink apple juice, but I mostly just drink water or skim milk. (If you are at all lactose intolerant, avoid dairy. If you tolerate it well, fat-free dairy products can sooth the stomach.)

Closed Thread