It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

Dollface8x3 HB User
Can antibiotics cause muscular/joint pain?

I have an antibiotic related question, unfortunately. I was put on z-pak (well I had the generic, Azithromycin) for a bacterial sinus (no fever) that I'd had for like 3 weeks that I'd gotten (my doctor believes) from taking benadryl during a viral infection. I was on it for allergies for a few weeks. The first dose was 500mg and then 250 mg once a day for the following 4 days. Within 3 hours of the first dose I had very watery diarrhea, but since it stopped after an hour my doctor told me to keep taking it. I finished the medicine 11 days ago and the sinus infection has cleared up...but I'm still having loose stools. Not only that, my period came a week early, I developed a weird callous on the side of my upper joint of my left index finger (I'm right handed and I don't do any hard work). Also, my: calves, right side of my left hand,forearms, and sometimes the area between my shoulder blades, and my knees hurt. It's not a dire pain, it's more like a sore, tingly sensation, except for my fingers which ache. This started 3 days into the medicine and hasn't gone away. My doctor (campus doctor, I'm stuck on a college campus) doesn't believe it is related and basically did not take me seriously at all. I've read that some people HAVE experienced the same side effect but no one says what to do. What should I do? Sometimes I feel like I'm going to be stuck like this forever, I'm 21 and I feel old!

I'm taking a multivitamin and probiotics (with yogurt) by the way, but I've been taking these for about a month, before starting the medicines. (added new probiotic supplement last night)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2011, 04:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Can antibiotics cause muscular/joint pain?

That does happen with some antibiotics - levaquin for one. Not so much so with a Z pak but it is possible. Should go away in time.

Closed Thread