It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
(female)

mcumberd HB User
Painful "rash" for 8 months

Hello,

I've had a rash for almost 8 months now. Currently it it covering my legs, arms, trunk (stomach and back), hands (not the palms), feet (not the soles), neck, and sometimes my face (typically only my chin, eyelids and forehead). Right now it looks like hives - it is large, raised red areas (looks like a sunburn) and is more painful than itchy. My legs are super swollen, particullarly my knees. It hurts to walk.

The rash started in May of 2011. It started on the back of my right knee. Approx. 2 months in it spread to the back of my left knee and insides of both my elbows. At this stage it was very "rash like" displaying red, bumpy, itchy skin. Not the hives that it is now... approx. another 2 months in is when it spread to the rest of my body and turned into the hives.

Current symptoms include low body temp (it was around 95 degrees last time I took it today) and I am really, really cold, as well as the swelling of my legs (thighs, shins, ankles and knees) and sweating (the hives are super hot so it makes me sweat), as well as a deep ache in all of my bones.

I am at a complete loss as to what this could be? The doctors keep telling me its an allergy but they aren't sure what I'm allergic to.

It's really, really affecting my quality of life. I'm wondering if perhaps it's candida, or lupus or something more serious?? I'm also wondering if this could be related to my thyriod? People are always telling me I should get it checked considering that I'm cold all the time, am always tired, have anxiety and can't seem to lose weight.

I've been to the ER (my arms swelled up pretty bad) and they did absolutely NOTHING for me... the doctor basically ran out of the room flaberghasted cause the rash was so bad. I've also been to the Dermatologist as well as my primary care physician numerous times. No one seems to know what this is.

I'm just concerned with the swelling of my legs right now... it's really painful. I don't have insurance (otherwise I'd be at the hospital right now - that's how painful it is) should I be concerned with the swelling?? Thank you SO much.....

The following user gives a hug of support to mcumberd:
Sunshine0102 (11-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Painful "rash" for 8 months

Are you taking any antihistamines for it? If they think it's allergies, which it could be, then that would be the course of action.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

That sounds like a contact dermatitis that turned nasty, with the rash inflaming your skin until it causes something like a burn. It's happened to me a few times, although never for so long. One was caused by my laundry detergent, some I never did figure out the cause.

The only thing that seems to help is to keep my body temperature down, take cool showers, and put nothing at all on it. Yes, the rash will make you feel feverish, hot and cold, the same way a bad sunburn can. Even creams like Cortaid can make it worse.

Definitely, you should have bloodwork to check for thyroid or autoimmune disorders.

What medications have been tried? Definitely you should take antihistamines, strong ones, maybe you should have a course of Prednisone as well.

An allergist could try skin testing, to find the cause of the rash.

Hang in there, I know how awful this sort of thing can be.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

mcumberd HB User

Thanks for the reply! I've tried Benadryl and Zyrtec then my Doctor has prescribed me Hydroxyz HCL and Doxepin, both are prescription strength antihistamines. I've also been put on steroids three different times and a antibiotic, all to no avail!

I have found that not putting anything on it at all and letting it get dry helps... it's gets really dry and gross but it doesn't hurt that way.

Thank you for the words of encouragement!!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
(female)

Daisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcumberd View Post
Hello,

I've had a rash for almost 8 months now. Currently it it covering my legs, arms, trunk (stomach and back), hands (not the palms), feet (not the soles), neck, and sometimes my face (typically only my chin, eyelids and forehead). Right now it looks like hives - it is large, raised red areas (looks like a sunburn) and is more painful than itchy. My legs are super swollen, particullarly my knees. It hurts to walk.

The rash started in May of 2011. It started on the back of my right knee. Approx. 2 months in it spread to the back of my left knee and insides of both my elbows. At this stage it was very "rash like" displaying red, bumpy, itchy skin. Not the hives that it is now... approx. another 2 months in is when it spread to the rest of my body and turned into the hives.

Current symptoms include low body temp (it was around 95 degrees last time I took it today) and I am really, really cold, as well as the swelling of my legs (thighs, shins, ankles and knees) and sweating (the hives are super hot so it makes me sweat), as well as a deep ache in all of my bones.

I am at a complete loss as to what this could be? The doctors keep telling me its an allergy but they aren't sure what I'm allergic to.

It's really, really affecting my quality of life. I'm wondering if perhaps it's candida, or lupus or something more serious?? I'm also wondering if this could be related to my thyriod? People are always telling me I should get it checked considering that I'm cold all the time, am always tired, have anxiety and can't seem to lose weight.

I've been to the ER (my arms swelled up pretty bad) and they did absolutely NOTHING for me... the doctor basically ran out of the room flaberghasted cause the rash was so bad. I've also been to the Dermatologist as well as my primary care physician numerous times. No one seems to know what this is.

I'm just concerned with the swelling of my legs right now... it's really painful. I don't have insurance (otherwise I'd be at the hospital right now - that's how painful it is) should I be concerned with the swelling?? Thank you SO much.....
I went through this when I was in my 20s, they did put me in the hospital, but I might as well stayed home. They never did find out what the rash was. I took what they called oatmeal bath (now this was 45 years ago), I am sure they have something better by now. They make Aveno for the bath and it is for skin treatment (that is what I used even though the hospital I went to called it a oatmeal bath, LOL) and it helped get rid of the itching.

I can't imagine having something like that for 8 monts.

What are you doing for the itching, that would drive me nuts.

I hope you find a answer soon.

Last edited by Daisy65; 11-29-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: I had a double question, and took it out.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
(male)

tariq456 HB User

No long discussion .
My father is a homeopathy doctor . He recommend me "Calendola", try this it will be helpful .

Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
(female)

mcumberd HB User

Hello! Thank you for your reply!

I've been doing the oatmeal baths (they're still the same! haha) but they don't seem to be doing anything....

I was taking benadryl then the doctors prescribed me zyrtec, hydroxyz HCL and Doxepin. The last two medications are actually anti-depressants but apparently they are ocassionaly used to treat rashes because they do have anti-histamine like properties and are used when traditional methods have failed....

It is very frustrating!! especially since I don't have insurance and it costs a lot of money to go to the doctors/Hospital and have them tell me they can't do anything for me!

My friends grandma suggested taking Colloidal Silver... I'm going to try that! I'll try anything at this point!!

Thank you very much for the advice

Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
(female)

Daisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcumberd View Post
Hello! Thank you for your reply!

I've been doing the oatmeal baths (they're still the same! haha) but they don't seem to be doing anything....

I was taking benadryl then the doctors prescribed me zyrtec, hydroxyz HCL and Doxepin. The last two medications are actually anti-depressants but apparently they are ocassionaly used to treat rashes because they do have anti-histamine like properties and are used when traditional methods have failed....

It is very frustrating!! especially since I don't have insurance and it costs a lot of money to go to the doctors/Hospital and have them tell me they can't do anything for me!

My friends grandma suggested taking Colloidal Silver... I'm going to try that! I'll try anything at this point!!

Thank you very much for the advice
according to what I have read Collloidal Silver is not a safe product to use. If I were you, I would be afraid of it's long term effects. Have you tried (and I am sure you have )prescription strength cortisone cream?

I agree you need to have blood work done, if you havn'e already, and maybe a biopsy of the rash, then they could find out what the rash is.

Last edited by Daisy65; 11-29-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelled a word wrong

Old 11-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Zyrtec is over the counter - $16 for 365 at Costco....don't pay prescription prices for it!

Closed Thread