It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
(female)

Correctusage HB User
Angry Re: Please Take A Stab At This!

Hey guys! I'm here posting the results of my ultrasound, which despite the tech acting worried about fluid built up in my kidney, were normal! Of course I asked the doctor's henchman about this, and she went through my papers and confirmed there was no notice of fluid. So why the ultrasound tech made a big deal over my kidney fluid build up, I will never know.

The doctors office is also surprised that my symptoms (Since turning 27 - diarrhea for almost 2.5 years every day, random hot flashes, insomnia, hair changes, fatigue, vision issues, (NO weight loss!), etc.) have not miraculously improved since I saw the doctor 3 weeks ago. Unbelievable! It actually makes me angry because it is obvious to me that I am seeing yet another doctor who believes my symptoms are fake or self induced. I am sooooo tired of this, but I keep going to the doctor because I know my family worries and we'd all like to know that my body is not slowly falling to pieces.

I don't know how much more poking and testing I can handle. I feel like I have to keep going from doctor to doctor, blowing so much time (YEARS) and money, just to get nowhere trying to find someone who thinks outside the box or will take me seriously. I guess I will simply end up living as a hermit for the rest of my life unless I can have a toilet installed on my rear end and it becomes socially acceptable to be that way lol!

They did take blood to test my thyroid levels and they said that came back normal, as well. Every thing is normal. I suppose normal is good, but I'm still suffering. I shudder to think how I will cope if I have another ailment come up, like a rattlesnake bite when I'm out walking my dogs or something. Maybe if I'm in an emergency setting crapping all over the office while they treat me they'll try something else? Doubtful, they'd probably just give me Lomotil to make the symptom stop.

Susie, Belle, everyone else who has supported me and provided input - I thank you very much!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Correctusage
bartonse (04-05-2012), BelleoftheSouth (04-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
(female)

bartonse HB Userbartonse HB User
Re: Please Take A Stab At This!

OMG it sounds like you're going through hell at the moment, although your last post did make me giggle. I've often thought about what extremes I'd have to go to in order to get proper treatment!

I'm not a professional but your symptoms scream THYROID to me. Just because they say your results are 'normal' doesn't mean they are normal for you! If you can get a print out of your lab results please do so and then post them on here. There are some very experienced people on these boards who probably know more than your doc.

The Following User Says Thank You to bartonse For This Useful Post:
Correctusage (04-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
(female)

Correctusage HB User

Bartonse - That is a good idea, I see my doctor in a month or so and I will ask for results of all my tests.

So here is another line of thought I've been playing with: I remember when I first started hanging out with my now-husband (as platonic friends) for about 6 months when we first met that he had digestive troubles (D/C issues every week or two weeks) more than anyone I've ever known. However, he considered it normal since he's always had the issues and claimed that he was more normal than I, who at that point had a digestion system of steel.

I never actually became ill with all my weird symptoms until after he and I became intimate.... I've often joked that he gave me my sickness, to tease him, but now I'm wondering if there's possibly some truth to that? I've noticed the past few months that his eyes look jaundiced and dull, and his stomach problems have become more frequent and upsetting to him lately. He was also not allowed to donate blood the last time he tried, about ten years ago and was never told why. So of course I'm curious now if there's some hepatitis or other virus at play, and I'm worried. He will not go to the doctor for himself, since he considers his issues normal and has had them since early childhood.

Other things I've considered are parasites of some sort, but that of course seems silly and doctors get annoyed if I suggest it.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but my stools have been light brown, light orange, and now mainly light yellow for the past couple years. The past month my urine has looked oily consistently. Sigh. Does this sound like a liver or pancreatic issue, possibly? Anyone?

I love input, so please shout out any idea that comes to mind and I will relish it.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
(female)

Correctusage HB User

It's been a while since I last posted. Since that time, I've had an upper endoscopy (results completely normal) and then today, an upper GI Xray with small bowel follow through.

I am sure everyone who has done the barium Xray shenanigans absolutely loved it, like I did.

The doctor and techs said it could take up to 6 hours for the white sludge to get through my small bowel. However, 30 minutes later, while the doctor was taking another 10 images and pressing on my intestines with a paddle, he said "Oh, you're going to need to go to the bathroom soon." I was so excited about this, since I'd only urgently gone number 2 twice that morning since waking 2 hours prior! So, after those final images, they let me 'leave' and I proceeded to spend the next hour in the hospital restroom sitting with numb legs on the public restroom toilet while the white sludge fell out of my bum. It took under an hour for the sludge to enter my mouth and come out the other end. I'm going for a record here.... That's why I keep stats.

And yes, a long line did form in the bathroom I was using, since I was taking up one of the two stalls the whole time, making it unusable to others.

The doctor said I looked completely normal, but that I had a very rapid transit time in my small bowel. No parasites, and no inflammatory disease, though. That's good.

I'm beginning to think more and more that this could be allergy related...? I noticed that when I was taking an antihistamine for a week a while back, that my tummy felt more settled. Maybe constipation is a side effect of the benadryl, though, so who knows.

As usual, I welcome anyone's input. 2.5 years of runny BMs several times a day is no longer a fad. It's out of style. No one does this voluntarily anymore. My intestines can't seem to take the hint that we're all over this already. Ho hum.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
(female)

Correctusage HB User
Unhappy Re: Please Take A Stab At This!

Back for possibly the last time..

I had my follow up visit to my barium xray series and follow-through yesterday (after a horrible, hellish migraine yesterday morning ugh).

The doctor said they can detect no inflammation or disease but that the radiologist noted that I have extremely fast transit times, with the barium going through both small and large intestines in 30 minutes. I already knew that.

The doctor, to my dismay, told me they have diagnosed IBS D because this seems to be purely functional, despite having no pain, cramps, constipation, etc etc. Awesome. Lovely. On a positive note, he is eager to treat the symptoms so I can live a normal life, instead of a being a 30 year old recluse.

So he is making me try Cholestyramine. Again. My previous gastro already had me try this and it really was not effective for me. In fact, the last time I stopped using it because it was causing more gurgling and bowel movements than I wanted. I guess Imodium is simply more effective for me. The doctor does not want me using Imodium or Lomotil on a daily basis anymore, which is why we're trying the bile sequestrant again. So far, my bowel feels uncomfortable and full, like I need to go any moment, and I've already gone more today that I have in months past. This is after taking the first dose this morning. I really do not have faith in this treatment, as it seems to prompt a succession of bowel movements when I take it. I am taking it after breakfast, per doctors orders.

He is having me try it for two months, keeping a diary of the med dose and following movements. If this is not effective, we move up to Lotronex. Scary.

Anyone have experience with the Cholestyramine and have any idea why it may make things worse for me?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #21
(female)

Correctusage HB User

***Update***

My doctor had me try Cholestyramine for my chronic, daily, painless diarrhea. I was to take it in the mornings after breakfast for 2 months, and keep a detailed symptom diary during that time. Well, I must say I kept an immaculate diary of symptoms, number of bowel movements, consistency according to Bristol, other symptoms, etc. etc. ANNNND the doctor glanced at my 6 pages of perfectly laid out work for about 3 seconds before saying "Alright, well you can discontinue the cholestyramine since it's obviously not helping you."

In fact, the only thing that made my life livable while on that medication was almost daily Imodium, as usual. I'm more and more convinced something muscular is going on, in which case, I guess IBS-D would be accurate. The only time my intestines calm down and stop rumbling and gurgling and moving and inflating and deflating and acting like snakes is when they're dulled with Loperamide.

Anyway, NOW I am in the middle of a 4 week stint of Xifaxin, which is doing NOTHING for me. Obviously SIBO isn't my problem, based on the 3 tests I've had at 2 different gastro offices that came back negative for it. My doc wants me to try this as a last ditch, before he prescribes Lotronex.

I am really curious about Lotronex, but if he doesn't want to prescribe it, then I guess I'll just stock up on more Imodium and hope my bowels simmer down in my 80s.

On a side note - Anyone else notice that certain Imodium formulations work better for you than others? I find that only the chewable pills (which are always sold out at most stores!!!) offer me regular, predictable relief. If I have to swallow any pill, whether it's Imodium or Tylenol or whatever, I question if they're being broken down properly because they don't seem to be working very well for me. I suffer from extreme migraines and the super duper pain meds that once worked barely have an effect, if any.

Yes, still grasping at straws here.

Reply Reply