It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

Correctusage HB User
Question Please Take A Stab At This!

Hey, thanks for reading! I've spent 2 years trying to figure out what's wrong with me and have spent soooo much money seeing numerous docs who aren't much help and think I'm crazy since I'm young and (with pounds of makeup) LOOK healthy... I can't keep spending money freely until someone decides to take me seriously, so please check out my list of symptoms and if you've got an idea of what could be wrong, let me know! Thank you very much!

First, my stats - 29 years old, 5'5", 125 lbs., appendectomy in a 3rd world country at 18.

Ailments that run in my family - Diabetes, the type that requires insulin daily. Skin cancer, bowel cancer, gallbladder disease.

Tests/treatments I've had - Several blood work panels, stool cultures, the famous 'oscopies' dealing with the digestive track, and....That's it. Docs won't test anything else because they think I'm dumb and my test results indicate I'm healthy as a horse! The only treatment I've tried is to curb my relentless diarrhea, lomotil and cholestyramine are not very effective unfortunately.

Symptoms
Since I was a kid
- Constant, extremely chapped lips, despite plenty of fluids. Constant icy cold hands and feet. Uncomfortable, burning, acidic stomach when hungry. These symptoms continue to this day.
Past 15 years - Extreme fatigue; In high school I was in bed by 9 each night and took naps every free afternoon I had. I'm still tired. Also diagnosed with sport induced asthma, used an inhaler in high school, haven't had any asthma symptoms investigated since, though they do still definitely exist when I exert myself.
Past 10 years - a LOT of hair shedding and breakage; my hair doesn't even look like human hair, it's so dry and wiry and thin. Skin in groin area and very top of thighs is brown; the rest of my body is alien-white.
Past 5 years - Fatigue even worse than before; I can sleep entire weekends away, only waking to eat and use the restroom and I'm still tired! Always feel weak, as if getting up from a chair is a huge chore for my body.
Past 2 years - Chronic, persistent diarrhea; This is a constant struggle EVERY day of my life now. Every time I eat, my stomach immediately begins to churn and grumble and make LOUD noises that other people find amusing. The diarrhea ranges from very soft brown stool, to pure yellow water that gushes out after two bites of food. I treat this symptom daily with Imodium (Gastro doc said it's okay) and my stools are still very soft and urgent and my stomach is always upset by food. Stools also morphed from my normal darker brown to light brown, to orangey-light brown to yellowish-light brown. Have kept a food diary for 6 months one time, 3 months another time, and though very detailed, no patterns can be determined in what I eat and the results.

I experience hot flashes while sleeping at night where I wake up sweating. Often times people who bump into me tell me I'm really hot (Not looks-wise, unfortunately) and I often will have random flushes where my face and chest become bright red and I get very hot and a bit sweaty. Nothing triggers this - it happens when I'm sitting at my desk at work or when I'm watching my favorite show on t.v.

My last symptom that developed 2 years ago one day and hasn't changed, is that I have 5 or so black spots in the vision of my right eye. They are permanent and do not 'float', as they are stationary and always in the middle and peripheral of my vision. Oh, and I've developed some heavy duty acne on the sides of my face. Lovely!

It's extremely rare that I experience any pain, bloating, or gas. The only pain I can recall is a molten, burning stomach when it's empty, and a strange pain behind the bottom of my left rib cage that comes and go randomly. I have not lost weight despite the diarrhea since my appetite is ravenous and I constantly eat, often times more than my 6 foot husband. I have gained about 5 lbs as a result of the excessive eating and lack of physical exertion.

If anyone has any ideas about what area I should delve into, please share! I feel as if I've aged so much since I turned 27, turning into a 90 year old overnight. Thyroid, maybe? Diabetes? Cortisol? Gallbladder disease?

I've blown so much time and money trying to get a diagnosis but everyone seems clueless or dismissive.

Last edited by Correctusage; 01-05-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Grammar, needed to add information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Please Take A Stab At This!

I'm thinking thyroid.....a lot of your symptoms sound thyroid related, more specifically hypo-thyroid (an underactive thyroid)

Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

Correctusage HB User

rosequartz - Thanks for responding. I will be demanding thyroid/hormone level testing as soon as I find a new doctor.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

good for you, and in the meantime, maybe mosey over to the thyroid board and see if anything sounds familiar!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

some other tests I would suggest you ask your doctor for are vitamin d, calcium and electrolytes since you've had chronic diarrhea for a long time. The interesting thing about vitamin d is that low levels can cause diarrhea, but also diarrhea can cause problems with your vitamin d and calcium so it's a viscious cycle. If you were low on vitamin d it would also explain your fatigue and tiredness, skin and hair problems. It may not even be the reason for your stomach problems but it could be making your stomach worse and causing some of your other symptoms due to nutritional deficiencies so it's worth checking and your electrolytes are probably way out of wack from the diarrhea as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captjane For This Useful Post:
Correctusage (04-05-2012), LordBlack (09-25-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

I hope you have had the blood work done.

It sure sounds like hypothyroidism.

~Belle~

Old 02-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
(female)

Augustusine HB UserAugustusine HB User

Sounds like thyroid, the thinning hair, tiredness and diarrhea. Are you over or underweight? Could be hyperthyroidism with the loose bowels. Do you wake up refreshed or still tired? sleep apnea??? Get it checked out. Maybe leave the make up off and take a list of your symptoms with you, plus any tests.

The Following User Says Thank You to Augustusine For This Useful Post:
Correctusage (04-05-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
(female)

Augustusine HB UserAugustusine HB User

You aren't going through early menopause are you?

Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
(male)

Greg0220 HB User

I'm not a doctor, but I did suffer from chronic diarrhea for decades, it may not be what you eat but rather what you drink, I'm allegeric to most municipal water supplies, cant drink tap water, sodas at a restaurant, pepsi products, but I find I can drink most filtered waters (under the sink and refrigerator), certain sodas (coke, dsani), brewed coffee, brewed ice tea (as long as the ice doesn't melt), just my experience, let me know if this is helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg0220 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
(female)

Correctusage HB User

Wow, I feel so bad for not responding to all the helpful posts others have submitted on this thread - I haven't been getting emails notifying me of updates, so guess I should check back more often!

Thanks to all for your input!

An update - I visited a new doctor a couple days ago, one who specializes in internal medicine. She was equally perplexed by my symptoms as all my other docs have been. However, she is the first to suggest it could be celiac disease, gallbladder issues, or thyroid problems. So they took a bunch of my blood to test for all of that jazz and I'll be scheduled for some imaging diagnostics soon.

I think I developed a new symptom that I've never had before - about two weeks ago, a good sized pale blister formed inside my cheek. I hadn't bit it, and I'm not exactly sure when it showed up, I simply noticed the pain one day while eating and took a look. After a couple days of H2O2 swishing, it was gone. That was weird!

Coping with these bothersome symptoms is becoming difficult, mood-wise. I'm often cranky and have no libido, which my new hubby doesn't understand. I don't want to constantly complain about feeling ill all the time, so I guess other people assume I'm doing better. Then if I mention a symptom again, it seems as though family and friends get upset at me, as if they blame me, like I'm causing this on purpose. Very interesting!

Not wearing makeup to my next appointment is a great tip. I think I am so good at pretending to be healthy that doctors don't understand the serious-ness of the situation.

I've been exercising regularly lately and guess what - I gained weight! I was extremely disappointed and surprised by this at the doctors office, lol.

Greg0220 - The water suggestion is a good one. I hadn't given my water intake much thought since this ailment began when I lived in my old apartment, and has continued while living in my new home with a well the past year, and also while on vacations drinking bottled waters. Anything is possible.

Captjane - The next time I see my doctor, I will suggest the tests you mentioned. I don't know why it is that medical professionals don't suggest any of these tests themselves. Seriously, I have to request my tests specifically for them to be considered. If the internet weren't available, I'd still be sitting at home suffering with the old 'IBS tee hee!" diagnosis a guy made 2 years ago after hearing me say 'diarrhea' one time.

Thank you all for your help, I will update this thread as test results come in.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

What type of fillings do you have in your teeth?

Has your doctor tested you for MS?

I hope your doctor finds something so you can be treated.

~Belle~

Old 03-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
(male)

Wellnify HB User

I hope you find a really good answer to your problem. Man, that sounds really really tough. I'll keep you in prayer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wellnify For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
(female)

Correctusage HB User

Hey All! Just posting with a tiny update - My colonoscopy in October was clean as whistle, so no issues there. My most recent doctor ordered a ton of bloodwork for me, and I had an ultrasound today. All of the bloodwork came back negative/normal. I'm not anemic, I didn't have any celiac markers, etc.

During my ultrasound today, the tech asked me if my bladder was very full and said I must need to pee. I didn't. Not at all. She said that was a little strange because there was fluid sitting in my kidney. So that's great. One more thing to add to my long list of annoying symptoms.

Could that be all related to my chronic D and everything else? I have no clue.. Could just be an unrelated bladder or kidney infection. Yay.

Belle - I have never had a cavity or a filling. One good thing came of my genetic pool, whoo hoo!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad your tests are coming back negative

You've done a great job with your teeth the reason I asked is that some people have older fillings and they're having problems with mercury poison..

Take care and keep us posted.

~Belle~

The Following User Says Thank You to BelleoftheSouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
(female)

Susie1257 HB User
Smile Re: Please Take A Stab At This!

Hi, This does sound like thyroid. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid over 20 yrs ago. I had these symptoms and still get the chills at times. My body temp. goes way down and the only way to get it up again is a very hot bath.

The tests that I get done on a regular basis are t3 and t4.

Good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susie1257 For This Useful Post:
BelleoftheSouth (04-03-2012), Correctusage (04-05-2012)
Reply Reply