It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
(male)

unoaime HB User
Bad taste in mouth and shortness in breath

Hi. I was living in a damp room (botched garage conversion) for around a year and have developed a terrible taste in my mouth along with the occasional shortness of breath. I've had a chest x-ray and it's came back fine but am on a waiting list to be able to see a dentist and am sure something is up with my respiratory system and i'm sure my heart beats fast than it should sometimes. This taste has been around for around 8-9months now it's affecting my life. It's often bitter, almost sourish but at night can be quite creamy, almost as if i've just drunk a pint of milk. My teeth have gone from very white to stained brown with darker brown blotches in a matter of months. I don't know what to do because i'm getting no answers off my doctors. Please offer some suggestions, thanks in advance for any offered help.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
(female)

Sachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB User
Re: Bad taste in mouth and shortness in breath

Are you keeping your mouth clean with daily brushing / flossing and mouthwash use?

The mould could definitely have caused some respiratory problems. Did your doctor check your blood for infection or fungus? Did they take throat cultures to see if it was any infection there? Those are really my only suggestions.

I know how you feel though, I too lived in a place full of that stuff and find that I sometimes still have that feeling and distaste in my mouth. I had it more in a warmer climate than in the dry one I'm in now, so a dehumidifier may help - ask your doctor about this first though, if you want to try it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
(male)

unoaime HB User

I'm regularly cleaning my teeth. The doctor took bloods and it came back fine, the chest and taste problem has worsened since then. All they've done in regard s to my mouth is take a look and say "yes there's stains, see a dentist" which i'm waiting for anyway. It's getting to the point where i just can't cope with it. Seen 6 different doctors and no answer.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
(female)

Sachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB UserSachimi HB User

I'm sorry you've had to see so many doctors without results. I don't know what else it could be, but I hope your dentist has something helpful to add.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Sinus infection or acid reflux could cause those problems. The tooth staining is odd, though. Do you drink coffee? Or have you been on antibiotics?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
(male)

unoaime HB User

I don't drink coffee at all, but i do drink a couple of cups of tea a day. The thing is i always have been drinking tea and my teeth have always been fine, it's only in the past 6-8 months of this illness in which they've became very stained and quiet sensitive.

A doctor prescribed me stuff for acid reflux but it felt more of a case of just getting me out of there because i read up on symptoms on the net and very little applied to me. It's time i've spent in this room where my physical health as gotten worse. It's very frustrating and i've been living with it for a while now and i'm starting to think i'll be stuck with it which i really don't think i can deal with, so many symptoms and so little help from the doctors.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
(male)

unoaime HB User

Been to the doctors loads of times and because they can't work it out they've basically dismissed it. Absolute joke, i can't live with it.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Have you been checked for chronic sinus infection by an ENT? Are you possibly allergic to mold? Those would be the big ones.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
(male)

unoaime HB User

How'd i go about seeing an ENT person? Doctors keep saying there's nothing wrong with me and to just try to keep active when clearly there is. My teeth have gone from white to brown in a matter of 6 months, i'm bringing up horrible phlem, get chest pains, my teeth are very sensitive and the most disruptive symptom of all, the overall taste and atmosphere in my mouth. Still waiting to see the dentist aswell but due to the chest problems aswell i don't think it'll help much, regardless of how worried i am about my teeth.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Ask friends for the name of a good ENT and make an appointment. You might also try adding baking soda to your toothpaste. I do that because I drink hot tea and it stains my teeth. Since oyu say they are sensitive, try Sensodyne and dip in baking soda.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
(male)

unoaime HB User

Okay, i'll get hold of some baking soda and put it on top of my toothpaste. Cheers.

Strange you mention about tea, it used to be my favourite drink but not anymore. Tastes very wierd to me now and sort of layers over my mouth, very hard to explain.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Definitely see the ENT.

However, a dentist sometimes CAN help to diagnose illnesses of the whole body that affect the mouth. So, if you haven't been to a dentist since this started, you may as well go.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #13
(male)

unoaime HB User

Yeah, i don't know if i mentioned it on here but i'm waiting to see a dentist. I haven't been signed to one for a few years so am on a waiting list to join. Very annoying as this whole atmosphere and taste in my mouth is very disruptive. Hopefully a dentist can diagnose it and won't tell me i've got something serious (even though it feels that way). Until then i've been trying to drink more water.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
(female)

Caryn64 HB User

its the mold im sure of it. mold is very toxic and affects the lungs terribly. you need to get out of there and tell your doc about where u live and check u for mold spores. look up black mold

Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #15
(male)

unoaime HB User

I've done all the research and like i say, since i've had the spirometry (sp?) and chest x-ray i've been dismissed. GPs are absolutely woeful.

Closed Thread