It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
(male)

JCCanada HB User
Problem with Lower Right Abdominal Pain

A little background story about myself. I'm 23 years old and I'm 5'8 and 120 lbs, so skinny and pretty active(although not so much now). I haven't had any medical problems or any health issues in the past, ever. *knock on wood*.

So about 4 months ago, in October of 2011. I was eating KFC(2 piece meal with fries and a drink) it was good at the time but I felt grossed afterwards(like most times after fast-food), I went home that night and everything felt normal and what-not, I'm usually a night-owl, so at about 2am, right before I went to bed, I went to the washroom to pee. Just as I was finishing, i felt a bit of sharp pain on my lower right side, just above the hip area and below the rib cage.

I thought Wow...what happened? I walked to my room afterwards and it was still lingering around. The next morning, same thing, the pain was now there and it didn't go away. My first diagnoses was kidney stones, so I just drank gallons of water but that didn't work. It wasn't a pain 24/7, it was just a bothersome dull ache every now and than. It wasn't painful at all. I went to my docters a few days ago since the pain didn't go away and they said it's probably gas but it MIGHT be Appendicitis, so moniter it and if it starts hurting(rebound pain) and fever. Head into the ER right away. Luckily that wasn't the case,and it wasn't appendicitis. I took a better diet and it started to feel better but it stayed the same. I did some blood-work and urine samples, everything came back good too. Than after weeks went by, it started to slowly get better than near the end of November, it just came back. The dull ache was rarely occurring but now it's back. So I went to the doctors again(Early-December) and they tell me it's nothing and it's gas. So the doctor diagnoses me with IBS. He gave me 50MG of Dicetel to take 3x a day before meals. I bought the medicine and took it for 3 days, the pain started to get more painful and more frequent as I was on Dicetel so I stopped.

I went to my doctors the week after he prescribed Dicetel(Mid-December) and explained to him. He said, he doesn't feel like theirs anything serious going on in my body and it's probably just IBS. He also stated Dicetel usually works for IBS patients but not all, so I should stop taking it since it doesn't seem like it's working for me.

This is an update yesterday.

So my diet has been pretty normal, not overly healthy but I don't eat deep-fried foods or foods that look way too greasy. After Christmas and during the new year, it started to subside, the pain(or shall I say small ache) is barely noticeable and on days I don't even notice. It's slowly reducing to a very minor/small ache, much like mid-late November to early December, before the doctor prescribed Dicetel. After I started taking Dicetel in mid December, the pain got noticeably worse and I stopped taking it after a week and it took about half a month before the pain subsided.

Now the ache is pretty small and dull. Doesn't happen all too much(just like in November). It's not overly painful(like when I was on Dicetel). So I booked a appointment with my family doctor today and went to see him, since the ache/dull ache is still there on my lower right side.

I've been slightly nauseated recently(bad sleep and probably because the weather has been pretty cold -5'C and snowing). The ache is on my lower right, near the waist/hip bone, it happens very randomly and lasts for maybe 1 - 2seconds at most and then its gone. Than happens again maybe a few minutes after. It's not severe or painful enough for me to stop what I'm doing or stop any activities, just a "Hey, I'm there here!" ache, to remind you that its still there lol...Sometimes the ache happens on my lower LEFT side and I've have the ache a few times on my upper right side, near the middle of the rib-cage(this happened maybe once or twice)

I've watched my diet and ate less, that might be why I've lost 5 LBS over the course of a month. I've also started burping frequently and they're pretty loud burps.

However, after telling the doctor all this. He puts me on a table/bed and starts pressing around the areas and everything seems normal. My blood work came back and everything looks good, my White Blood Cells actually dropped a little, but still normal, which he told me if I was battling an infection than my WBC would be up instead of down. I've suggested it might be my Gall-Bladder but he said people in my age bracket(I'm 23) and judging from my family history. It doesn't seem like I have Gall-stones and/or Gall Bladder disease, so he said an ultrasound isn't necessary at this point. And that the spots where I have the ache, wouldn't be my gall-bladder. He said you'd feel it in your back and high up. He also said, gall-bladder attacks/pain are usually more severe?

His solution? Eat healthy, be healthy(active, exercise) and just stop worrying because the mind can play tricks on you. He said, the body can find ways to solve itself and work itself out. Also that the chances of this being anything life-threatening or very dangerous is pretty low.

He prescribed me Zanctac for my nauseated feeling since I might have too much stomach acid.

What I'm afraid of is finding things too late. It's better to treat something that just started than to treat something after it develops He doesn't want to issue any scans because of the radiation, he said those scans aren't that great for the body and not ultra sound because he can't see anything leading to the Gall-bladder.

Has anyone have/had these symptoms before or heard of anyone with similar symptoms of ones that I'm having?

And what do you guys think it is?

Should I request something from my Family Doctor? A full scan? Ultrasound? or referral for a Gastroenteritis?

It sucks cause it's been happening since mid October of 2011. I can't really focus on studying when the lingering thought of it might be something really bad. Although when I take my mind off of it, like when I'm doing something(hanging out with friends etc) it usually doesn't bother me or I don't take notice of it.

Thank you for reading, I know it's a bit long

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
(male)

violentwaves HB User
Smile Re: Problem with Lower Right Abdominal Pain

Hi there, I'm having the exact same symptoms as you. Only difference is mine started about two weeks ago. But the pain is the same area, lower right by the hip bone, sometimes goes up the lower rib cage, and occasionally over to the lower left. I'm 23 and a male as well. The doctors have suspected appendicitis with me as well, but I'm not having any symptoms other than this dull pain. I've spoken to one doctor who said I might have some sort of intestinal parasite and should take probiotics to try and cure it. Please write me back when you can! This pain is causing way too much worry and stress; it'd be nice to hear if you've sorted it out! Thank you so much!

Last edited by violentwaves; 09-06-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:31 AM   #3
(female)

poca123 HB User
Re: Problem with Lower Right Abdominal Pain

wow i am to i was told i have gallstones and thats why there is an occasional shift and pain in area of left rib cage.... last summer the pain on my right side was so bad i could not sit ....the dull pain can also feel like a burning sensation i found the dull pain increased to a burning weird feeling that increased when i had to urinate...sometimes gall stones can cause problems in the areas of urinary pancreatic, liver and a hosts of other intestinal areas,,,, you should ask your doc to give u a cat or a ultra sound..... my gallstones were discovered by accident when i went for a cat scan of my chest the stones just happen to show up in the ct.... if you experience any pain between your shoulder blades or any back pain you can almost count on gallstones...u tube has a great video on a home remedy to rid the gall stones.... believe it or not its epsom salt but you need to follow the directions i hope you find the problem

Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
(male)

Leocleo HB User
Re: Problem with Lower Right Abdominal Pain

Hi, Same pain, same area, about 6 mos. of this now. Had CT Scan done lower and upper abdomen. Did find a cyst on each of my kidneys, and one on my liver, but they said it was nothing to worry about. They also said that those would not cause the burning sensation that I am experiencing. They said no stones show in the gall bladder or kidney. So I am at kind of a loss.

let everyone know if and when my issues are solved. Not meaning to wish this on anyone, but nice to know that I am not the only one going through this. Oh, and forgot to mention that it was discovered on my scans that I do have a double hernia which I am having repaired in about two weeks, so I will see if maybe this might be the culprit and the pain is just radiating to that area. Will post updates! Thanks!

Reply Reply