HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   General Health (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/)
-   -   Lack of awareness and dull mind? Aged:17? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/general-health/887227-lack-awareness-dull-mind-aged-17-a.html)

TamShot 01-27-2012 03:27 AM

Lack of awareness and dull mind? Aged:17?

Hi there,

I'm a seventeen year old female student, and lately I've been noticing some weird things that have been beginning to scare me.
I find that lately, I haven't been able to think properly, like it's hard for me to do so, and I feel confused and numb in the head quite often. It takes a long time for me to process anything anybody tells me, I forget almost everything, and most of the time it just feels like I'm slipping in and out of a dream. For example, if I'm in the middle of doing something, lets us making a milkshake as an example, about halfway through, I would only just come to realize what I'm actually doing. I feel like I've just woken up from a daydream or sleep, depending on the severity. I also don't feel aware of myself at all. I have been diagnosed with severe depression, stress, and anxiety before, but I never got any treatment for it due to lack of money. Could this have something to do with it? I just feel foggy and stupid and slow all the time, and I've noticed it getting worse and worse as time passes. Any idea of what could be wrong with me? Please help. I'm really scared. Thank you guys.

Leelee28 01-27-2012 09:38 PM

Re: Lack of awareness and dull mind? Aged:17?

Hey TamShot,

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you! It sounds scary and I can see why you're concerned! Can you tell me a little more about it? Do you feel like you're "waking up" in the middle of an activity all the time? Or just once in a while? Have you noticed other issues: sleeping too much or not enough? Having trouble falling asleep? Has you appetite changed? Have you gained weight or are you losing weight? Are you finding things less enjoyable to do? Has anyone noticed these changes? How is it affecting your daily functioning?
Based on what you've said, I'd go and talk to the doctor. It is possible that you're depression is getting worse or something else is going on. Have you talked to your doctor about how you can't pay for medication? Certain chain pharmacies, like Walmart and Target, have something called "the $4 list" where a lot of common medications (generics) are sold for a very low price so that people don't have to skip taking meds because of money concerns. If your doctor knows that you're worried about meds costing too much, they should have some kind of list that tells them what is on "lists" like those at these pharmacies.
Good luck with all of this! I hope you seek help - things like this aren't "normal" and it's important that you do something to take care of yourself! And don't worry about money too much - many places/offices have payment plans, where you can make monthly payments for services if you can't pay it all at once. I use those with all of my appointments b/c I'm a student and don't have enough income to pay things right away. Your health is incredibly important and most places you go should have some kind of system in place to help you out - just ask!

TamShot 01-31-2012 06:59 PM

Re: Lack of awareness and dull mind? Aged:17?

Hey Lee,

Thank you so much for your reply and I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner.

To answer your questions, I feel like I'm waking up from a dream, once in a while, but it could last a long period of time, if you get what I mean. Like.. say.. in a period of ten minutes, I could get the sensation of waking up about 5 -15 times, over and over. I think I sleep regularly, possibly sometimes a few hours longer or shorter than others, but it does take me a while to fall asleep. Once I have though, I sleep fine. As for my appetite? I don't think I've ever really had much of one. I don't eat much during the day, possibly something light every now and then, and then pretty much just dinner, or half of dinner. My weight varies often I find. It skips between 45kg - 55kg usually, and I'm about average height. I do find a lot of activities less enjoyable to do, mainly because I can never concentrate on it long enough to really get into it, and I find myself zoning out and staring at a wall a lot of the time because of this. My mum pointed out that lately I've been getting snappy, angry and frustrated easily, which is unusual for me because I'm usually very patient, accepting and quiet. Yes, it affects my daily functioning terribly, which is why it's scaring me more. Because of it, I've dropped out of school, simply because it was pointless in being there. I wasn't learning anything at all, because nothing stuck in my head no matter how much I studied, listened and even wrote over and over and over. I currently have a job, only subway, and I'm getting in trouble a lot, because they think it's just air-headedness. I drop things a lot, I mess things up, get orders wrong, forget what an order is, add the wrong ingredients to things, deal out wrong change, and don't realise any of this until it's too late. And no matter how hard I try to stay focused, I simply can't. I'm scared that soon I'm going to get fired, and I really cannot afford to be.

Thank you for your tip about the payment plans and th Target list too. I'll see if Australia has anything like that. I'm not sure. When I can afford to see a doctor, I'll definately ask.

Thanks so much again,

~Tam.