It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
(male)

justamoment HB User
My belly button has been oozing, bleeding, and smelling bad

Long story first, Summary at the bottom

On December 27, I woke up one day with a weird pain in my belly button. It would hurt a lot when I sat down or pressed on my belly button in any other way. I looked at it but there was no blood or pus or anything, however the skin below the belly button was a bit reddish. I let it go for a few days to see if it got better.

Then on New Years, I was spending time with family, when I started smelling a really weird odor. I figured it was someone else, or from outside or something, but my cousins dog started sniffing my belly button very intently. So I went to the bathroom and lifted up my shirt and noticed there was dried blood and pus, and when I cleaned it with tissues it smelled really bad.

For the next few days, the actual pain from my belly button started going away, but I still had to "clean out" my belly button every few hours because pus and blood kept leaking. I told myself if it didnt get better in a week I'd go see a doctor.

I started using some fungal cream because someone told me that it could be a fungus infection. Now its been almost a month and technically it has gotten better. I don't notice random pus and blood leaking out every few hours, but it does still occasionally smell and I have to clean it out at least once a day. It's not as bad as it was a month ago when it first started, but there is still some blood every few days, and I can occasionally still smell it, especially when my shirt is off.

For a while I thought it was completely gone since I didn't notice anything for the past few days, but then today I woke up with it feeling slightly itchy and hurting a tiny bit (not as much as it did when it first started) and when I looked at it, I noticed dried blood again. But when I went to clean it, there was no fresh blood.

Summary: One day my belly button started hurting really bad when I pressed on it and it was slightly red around the skin. A few days later, my belly button started oozing really bad smelling pus and blood every few hours and the pain and redness went away. A few weeks later, it doesn't ooze and bleed as often as it used to, but still does every once in a while, along with the bad smell.

I'm going to make a doctor's appointment on Monday, but does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: My belly button has been oozing, bleeding, and smelling bad

It's possible to get a little infection inside your belly button. The doctor will prescribe a treatment (either antibiotic cream or pills) that should clear it right up.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

It could be an infection, an abscess deeper in the tissue or even a hernia.

Try to push the doc further to look beyond the outermost obvious.

Let us know the outcome for sure.

q

Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
(male)

justamoment HB User

I'm a new patient so the doctors appointment wont be until next month.

However, like a day or 2 after posting this, it stopped oozing and bleeding and it hasn't since then. It doesn't smell as bad either and not much comes out when I clean it out with a tissue. It used to be I cleaned with a tissue and there would be a bunch of gunk that came out with it, now its almost nothing.

However, every once in a while there is still a slight sharp pain if I push down on my belly button. I've cleaned it out with a q-tip and I can feel like a bump or something and thats the part that stings if I touch it. It doesn't hurt as much as it used to and definitely not as often, so I guess its getting better. It's just so weird.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, maybe the infection cleared up on its own. Just keep an eye on it for now. If it gets worse, don't be afraid to seek care urgently, such as a walk-in clinic.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
(male)

gbamp HB User

Justamoment i was wondering what happend finally, did you go to see a doctor ?
Because i have the exact same thing, i was looking everywhere on the interent to give me some kind of insight into my problem. i went to go see my family doctor and as soon as he saw it he refered me to a surgeon for some reason, because of that now i am getting worried, Any news of what happend would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
(male)

50ish HB User

gbamp, justamoment, I the same exact PROBLEM as the two of you.
Justamoment, please let us know what the diagnosis was,,or Gbamp, have you had it taken care of as well? Please advise me. This smelly puss/pain/minor blood happened to me last night.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Probably just a minor infection. They send you to a surgeon in case there's a small abscess in there that needs to be lanced or removed.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
(male)

50ish HB User

I spoke with my doctors nurse on the phone yesterday. Based upon all the info I had given her she advised that I keep it (belly button) clean and dry. Do not stick a finger inside the button to check (risk of bacteria) on it. Keep a close eye on it and if it continues to be a problem or gets worse then a doc appointment would be needed. Ill say that my button is still sensitive but does not have any more puss or blood. whew

Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
(female)

Bellyissues HB User

My husband had the same thing 20 years ago. It took awhile to diagnose but it turned out to be a badly collapsed umbilical cord that left a hole in his abdomen since birth! So it caused infection that leaked into his abdomen. He had to have surgery to correct it and today he has to eat very carefully. No huge meat sandwiches! He has had emergency hospital visits several times over the last 20 years when he eats too much and he can't digest due to scar tissue from the adhesions in his abdomen. These build up over time. No predicting when he may have an emergency. So please ask your doctor to check how your umbilical cord collapsed and if there is any leakage from there. If it smells then it is coming from within your abdomen I bet! Good luck!

Last edited by Bellyissues; 07-06-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Closed Thread