It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

karen610 HB User
Not feeling good after using baking soda to brush teeth

I have hypothyroidism(underactive thyroid gland). Last night I brushed my teeth with Arm & Hammer baking soda..had never done this before. I probably also swallowed a bit. Afterwards my mouth was tingling and hot and my throat also felt hot and I was nauseaous. I called poison control and was told baking soda was not toxic and I should just rinse my mouth again and take some crackers for the nausea. I did that and went to sleep. This morning I woke with a *huge* headache. Mouth feels a little warm and tingly still and throat as well with slight nausea. I checked my blood pressure and it is normal. Are these symptoms cause for concern?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Not feeling good after using baking soda to brush teeth

A large amount of baking soda that is NOT dissolved in water could burn your mouth or throat slightly. However, that should heal.

I wouldn't worry.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
karen610 (02-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
(female)

Leelee28 HB UserLeelee28 HB User

Here's what I think: don't worry about it. You need to actually ingest a fair amount of baking soda to get sick, and since you may have swallowed a little from brushing your teeth, I don't think you need to worry. Even more reason not to worry is you already contacted the PCC. But, if you still are concerned, here is some info for you.
Some of the side effects of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is thirst, upset stomach, etc.

If you experience any of these symptoms, go the hospital: wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
• Signs of low potassium: feeling tired, weak, numbness, or tingling; muscle cramps; hard stools (constipation); throwing up; or a fast heartbeat.
• Trouble breathing.
• Change in thinking clearly and with logic.
• Very bad swelling.
• Any rash
Remember: these things are associated with ingesting (eating) a lot of baking soda (like an overdose), not from a little swallow.I think some of what you're feeling may just be from a fear of having a bad reaction from it (your mind is making you sick, not the baking soda), so just try to relax. If you're really concerned, go see your doctor.
Otherwise, just stay hydrated, and maybe don't use it to brush your teeth anymore.

Hope you feel better soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to Leelee28 For This Useful Post:
karen610 (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
(female)

karen610 HB User

Oh my..Thanks..how long would it take..any suggestions how I can alleviate the discomfort and promote healing?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
(female)

karen610 HB User

Thank you so much...it feels now like i have heartburn..a warmth in the throat. ..I've been drinking water. Still have headache. Afraid to take something for the headache because of adverse reaction? Would it be ok to take Tylenol?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Rinse with salt water, eat soft rather than crunch/scratchy foods for a few days.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
karen610 (02-12-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
(female)

karen610 HB User

Thanks so much..I rinsed just once with salt water about an hour ago and feeling a bit better. Also, wondering if there is a connection.. I sneezed and had a little nosebleed. Head still hurts is this possibly from the baking soda?

Last edited by karen610; 02-06-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
(male)

toms119 HB User

Honestly there isn't a correlation, just to be careful next time don't let the baking soda sit in your mouth or swallow it!

The Following User Says Thank You to toms119 For This Useful Post:
karen610 (02-06-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #9
(female)

Yip812 HB User

No, the baking soda can't cause that. People use it for heartburn, 1/4 tsp dissolved in a cup of water helps heartburn.

The crackers you ate (if they were saltines, aka soda crackers) have baking soda in them to help with upset stomachs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Yip812 For This Useful Post:
karen610 (02-12-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen610 View Post
... Last night I brushed my teeth with Arm & Hammer baking soda..had never done this before. ... Afterwards my mouth was tingling and hot and my throat also felt hot and I was nauseaous. ... This morning I woke with a *huge* headache. Mouth feels a little warm and tingly still and throat as well with slight nausea.
You could be allergic to Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate). You certainly reacted to your exposure to it.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 02-07-2012 at 07:45 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
karen610 (02-12-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

You've ingested a lot of sodium...the baking soda, crackers with salt on them(sodium chloride) then you rinsed with your mouth with salt water...no wonder you have a headache. Too much salt. Baking soda in tiny amounts can help with indigestion but they also give salt water to induce vomiting...too much salt can make you feel sick and make you throw up.

I only brush with baking soda and you shouldn't swallow any of it. I put an very small amount of it in the palm of my hand and dip the wet brush into it, getting a small amount. I then brush a particular area and then rinse it all out before going on to a different area. Brush and rinse completely after each area to avoid ingesting it. Great for the gums and whitens like nothing else out there. I think I'm the only 60 year old at my dentist's office who goes for a cleaning and there is nothing to scrape off.

It will go away and you are okay. But no more swallowing the baking soda.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
karen610 (02-12-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I use my toothpaste along with baking soda ( put a little in my hand and press the brush with the toothpaste in it). I drink a lot of hot tea so have stained teeth - about the only thing that will help is the baking soda - though there is a great Fench toothpaste - DenBlan - that works well too but it is about $20 a tube!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
karen610 (02-12-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I use my toothpaste along with baking soda ( put a little in my hand and press the brush with the toothpaste in it). I drink a lot of hot tea so have stained teeth - about the only thing that will help is the baking soda - though there is a great Fench toothpaste - DenBlan - that works well too but it is about $20 a tube!

And I second all the comments about overloading on the sodium!

Closed Thread