It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

PatchouliDreams HB User
Angry Sick & Fed Up!

Hello,

I'm not sure if this the correct board to place this (if not, mods please move) anyhow, I was diagnosed with adult onset asthma in 2006 and was prescribed Advair, Zyrtec allergy tablets and an inhaler- since '06 my asthma has gotten progressively worse, I have had Bronchitis 4 times in just two years ( I am a non smoker) and following each episode of this I never had a cold or any other illness, basically no rhyme or reason why I keep getting bronchitis!

In the year of 2009 I developed severe migraines and was prescribed just 10 mgs of Sumatriptan- which did nothing for me, my partner on the other hand went in to see his physician for headaches and was prescribed 800 mgs Ibuprofen and 50 mgs Sumatriptan! My physican told me my only other option besides the 10 mg of Sumatriptan that he prescribed me was a cat scan to which I cannot afford! but regardless- I dipped into my partners meds ( I know I shouldn't but was desperate) and found that neither 800 mgs Ibuprofen nor 100 mgs Sumatriptan did absolutely anything for my migraines. I've now had to quit working as the pain is too great.

This summer I developed mysterious low blood sugar and even though I eat beforehand my blood sugar will dip extremely low and I will get sweaty, dizzy, craving sugar and water and feel slightly ill to my stomach. It makes no sense because I have eaten before I have these episodes.

I cough all night and wake up exhausted, I have migraines at least 3 times a week, I'm fed up because I'm tired of being sick and I feel that all that the doctors do is put a bandaid on my symptoms without getting to the root of the problem (s). I feel like I get NO HELP and I'm just tired of it all.

Btw: My physician keeps telling me my bloodwork is fine, hard to imagine really with all the numerous problems I've been having since '06!!

Does anyone have an suggestions for me as I'm at my wits end! I've also tried consulting with a naturopath in my area but my insurance doesn't cover care for a naturopath. I don't know what else to do.

Help! and thank you for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Sick & Fed Up!

Hi...I was diagnosed with late onset asthma at age 28...I'm now 57.

I'm curious why you're on the Zyrtec? Do you have continual asthma symptoms? Sometimes antihistamines can exacerbate asthma...especially when one has lung infection or inflammation not caused by allergy.

My asthma is more intrinsic...so during colds, antihistamines would make me much worse.

Maybe a medication such as Singulair would help you more?

What's the dosage of the Advair? When you have a cold, do you have a steroid preventer that you increase?

Are you using any antibiotics when you have bronchitis?

Are you using any expectorants?

q

Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You should see a pulmonologist to get your asthma under control. You may not be on the right meds or combination of meds. And you obviously do not have an asthma action plan which you should have. It would tell you how to adjust your meds in case of a cold or other exacerbation.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
(female)

PatchouliDreams HB User

I'm curious why you're on the Zyrtec? Do you have continual asthma symptoms? Sometimes antihistamines can exacerbate asthma...especially when one has lung infection or inflammation not caused by allergy.

I have continual asthma symptoms, yes. I also forgot to add that my physician found old scar tissue on an xray in my lungs to which he claims was from a bout Sarcodosis that is now gone....I have to wonder about that.

I've been tested for allergies & I have too many allergies to list here and basically should go live in a dome bubble. I've also had numerous allergy shots.

Maybe a medication such as Singulair would help you more?

I don't know. Perhaps I will suggest it. I was planning to suggest Dulera the next time I went in.

What's the dosage of the Advair? When you have a cold, do you have a steroid preventer that you increase?

250/50 no, preventer. Unless you mean the Advair? I was never given instructions on how to increase the meds due to colds or other illnesses.

Are you using any antibiotics when you have bronchitis?

Yes, I've been prescribed Avelox and Z pack. It clears up for a time but comes back in short order!

Are you using any expectorants?

Just an inhaler, I do have mucinex on hand, it doesn't really help.

Last edited by PatchouliDreams; 02-13-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
(female)

PatchouliDreams HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You should see a pulmonologist to get your asthma under control. You may not be on the right meds or combination of meds. And you obviously do not have an asthma action plan which you should have. It would tell you how to adjust your meds in case of a cold or other exacerbation.
I've never seen a pulmonologist as it was never suggested to me, good idea! I also don't have an asthma action plan and don't even know what one it is. It sounds like I'm not getting the proper care that I should be having!

Closed Thread