It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

AvaliableName HB User
Extremely scary swelling sensation behind my left eye

Over the past year I have had this swelling sensation behind my left eye.. its an odd and scary type of swelling sensation. It feels like there is something swelling and then dissipates and will repeat this same feeling a few times, sometimes can happen several times. after i have an episode of this swelling i get a sensation like a water balloon was behind my eye that was suddenly popped and i feel like there is a liquid substance dripping. i understand this sounds very odd.. but it really is happening to me and i don't have a family doctor to talk to and i am afraid to go to the hospital and them simply looking at me like i am insane and embarrass me. i cant go to a clinic because they never have the equipment to do tests on you there...and that if they don't think i am insane too.. i don't know where to turn. i am worried that this question is so bizzare that no one will even know what it is or even believe me and not respond to this thread. please at least have a helpful information about how to go about figuring it out being pegged as nuts and then i will never have it checked out. i have a few symptoms that may or may be related. briefly,
my appetite seems to be completely gone. i do not have an eating disorder, Ive been naturally thin my entire life. i simply am not hungry. if i didn't have a husband and children i wouldn't even think about making dinner. i can go days with only eating a few bites of meals and never get hungry. this used to be the same with liquids until recently.. i have become super thirsty.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Extremely scary swelling sensation behind my left eye

The problem when we have those weird thoughts and sensations is that there is no way to prove them. But that doesn't mean it isn't significant. But what you do have is a very real symptom that could also be significant and that is extreme thirst.

I'd go tell the doc that you are extremely thirsty. My dad developed diabetes insipidus and that causes extreme thirst and a ton of very clear urine from the amount of water he drank. It's caused by a problem with the pituitary(gland in back of the eyes) that makes the body unable to concentrate urine properly so he drank and drank in order to clear out his kidneys. Maybe your body is sending you a sign that you have a similar problem.

But regular diabetes also has extreme thirst as a symptom so they need to look at that too. And there are others.

Concentrate on telling the docs what they can see and test. They can't test for a strange sensation but they can test for extreme thirst. consider the strange sensation a sign from your body that something is wrong and that you need to find out what. But the true symptom in the thirst.

Our bodies do talk to us and we have to learn to read what they are saying.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
AvaliableName (03-12-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
(female)

AvaliableName HB User

Jenny thank you dearly for a timely reply.. I have researched a bit about diabetes insipidus this afternoon and i have similar symptoms but the one thing i don't have is excessive urination. when I went to a diagram of the brain and the pituitary gland location.. to my shock and horror this is almost exactly where i feel this repetitive swelling sensation... I thank you for the information because its a little easier to have a beginning point to research from. I feel like I should probably research this on my own a bit so that i can convey my symptoms in an effective manner to a doctor, if that makes any sense. The more I read the more insanely afraid I become about a pituitary tumor. It gives many symptoms that include almost all of mine.. changes in appetite, Excessive thirst with or without increased urination, fatigue, headaches and Loss of vision or changes in vision.
My question would be.. which route would be easiest to get a professional opinion? hospital? clinic? i live in a town that is allergic to doctors accepting new patients, making it hard to find a regular GP. I feel really.. worried and insecure and kind of unsure about what to do next. thank you again Jenny. I don't know if you or anyone can answer these questions but I remain confident that I can at least be pointed in the right direction here. This message board forum is very helpful and I am extremely thankful for it.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

AvaliableName HB User

it saddens me that there has been 480 views on this thread and only one reply..

Old 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Who you see may depend on your insurance. Does it require a referral from a primary care doc or not? The type of doc that would treat this would be an endocrinologist and many require a referral but some don't...you can just call and go in. Some docs in Internal Medicine(the adult version of the pediatrician for kids and who many see instead of a GP)also do endocrinology.

If you are in Canada or Great Britain, they you have to go with your system and do the GP thing first.

But please watch your water intake as believe it or not, you can die from drinking excessive amounts of water. Do some research on Hypernatremia. You want to fix this, not die trying to figure out what it is.

Excessive thirst is a big problem and any doc really should be able to test you and diagnose you. means your sodium levels are way off and that can cause all sorts of problems. I developed this after surgery a few years ago. The brain cells can get dehydrated and so you get all sorts of weird brain problems. So please don't wait until you've figured out what is wrong...please see someone.

Jenny

PS...don't sweat the number of views and no answers except me...that is really normal. Many don't or can't answer but they can read and learn. Your question is helping others in the same boat.

Closed Thread