It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

womanandawife HB User
pain under rib cage right side and into the back

A few weeks ago I posted here about some abdominal pain. I can't find the post I made so I am posting again...

I have been having some really bad pain on the right side of my abdomen right under the rib cage and into my back. I feel pain on the left side too but the right is much more severe. I have some nausea but it's mild, no vomiting. It looks like I have some swelling but considering I am overweight, it's hard to tell.

My gallbladder was removed almost six years ago.

I went to my doctor. He was stumped because he said my symptoms are not consisent with one specific illness. He has a few ideas but he didn't share all of them. I think he is considering kidney stones, pancreatitis and an ulcer (those were the ones he mentioned.)

He took blood work, he took a urine sample. The next day I did a few ultrasounds (abdominal, renal, pelvic...) The ultrasound tech said my common bile duct was enlarged but the radiologist said he didn't that had anything to do with my pain, it was barely enlarged and he saw no obstruction. Apparently they didn't see anything unusual on the ultrasound.

I haven't been back for my follow up but I am scared. I have seen a lot of people with similar issues who have been suffering for years and nothing has happened. I can't imagine being in this pain for a few more weeks let alone years.

Where should I go from here? Anybody have any suggestions? Anyone had anything similar and actually get a diagnoses? The pain is getting worse. It's almost unbearable.

I am editing this because I am starting to have urinary symptoms...maybe kidney stones?

Last edited by womanandawife; 04-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: pain under rib cage right side and into the back

Definitely anything is possible. I would suggest you push for an abdominal MRI (called an MRCP).

Is it possible you have adhesions from your surgery? I don't know what would show that you have them.

Have you had a colonoscopy? If he's thinking ulcer, then you need to have a test for h.pylori and an upper scope.

You definitely need to go for the follow-up and get the results (and copies) of your bloods,

How are you eating? what does a day in your life diet look like?

What meds has your doc given you...have antispasmodics helped to ease some of the discomfort?

Ihope you find the answer...it's difficult to hear, because I can relate to discomfort in the abdominal area. I do have ulcerative colitis, had a hysterectomy (which helped with much of the discomfort), but flaring, food choices, etc can definitely exacerbate some symptoms. Gas can bring me to my knees sometimes, and some food changes can help.
The transverse colon and the bends in the colon from the right side and left side can cause confusing symnptoms.

Oh, have you had stool sampling done as well?

q

Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
(female)

womanandawife HB User
Re: pain under rib cage right side and into the back

I haven't had a colonoscopy. We didn't do the stool sampling yet.

My diet isn't great. I don't eat much ( even though I am overweight I don't have big appetite) but what I do is is almost always tomato based.

The doctor didn't give me any meds because at the time my pain wasn't as bad but it has gotten worse.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited by womanandawife; 04-09-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Closed Thread