It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
(male)

LondonIrish HB User
Painful lump in chest

Hi guys,
I'm a 22 year old male and there's a lump in my chest which has suddenly become very painful. I'm going to be honest, there has been a lump there for the past 6 or 7 years, but it has never ever cause me any pain before. I'll try to describe it in as much detail as possible so that I can get your thoughts on it.

Like I said, it appeared 6 or 7 years ago, but was never painful. It's located on my sternum, more or less directly in the middle of my chest. It is a firm lump, but I've always been able to move it around a bit. A few hours before I went out last Friday night I noticed that it was suddenly hurting me, so I lifted up my shirt and poked at it and noticed that it had suddenly grown to twice the size it was before and was painful when I touched it. I disregarded it and told myself it would probably stop hurting in a day or two, but it hasn't. If anything the pain has probably gotten worse. Last night I realised it was hurting even when I walked. If I try to pull my arms back behind my back it is extremely painful, kind of like it's being pulled on or something. It's more or less a round shape, about 1 inch wide and 1 inch long.

I'm going to call up my local GP tomorrow but it will probably be next week or so before I will be able to get an appointment.

Any thoughts on what it could be are appreciated. I am one of those people that thinks "it will sort itself out." but this actually has me worried, so it is something I am definitely going to get checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Painful lump in chest

It could be some kind of abscess or boil. Those tend to be quite painful. Is the lump red or any other strange color? Do you have a fever or feel sick?

Definitely call the doctor in the morning, and mention this stuff. If it keeps getting worse, go to the hospital.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
(male)

LondonIrish HB User

Thanks for your reply. The lump isn't any strange colour, just my natural skin tone. I don't feel ill in any other way at all, it's just the lump which is painful.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
(female)

Jacy56 HB UserJacy56 HB User

Similar symptoms my husband had on his lower back. It was a cyst that became infected. Dr. Drained it and gave him antibiotics.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
(male)

LondonIrish HB User

Thanks for that Jacy. I've got an appointment for Saturday so hopefully the doctor will be able to tell what it is rather quickly. Upon further examination of me poking and prodding it I've realised that it's not firm like it used to be, it's now a little bit squishy, kind of like there's a liquid inside, if that makes sense? I'm viewing that as a good thing in my head and it's made me worry a little less as it is probably a cyst or a boil. Now I've just got to put up with the mild pain until it's time to see the doctor. Thanks again for your responses.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
(female)

Let us know how it goes on Saturday with the doctor. Try not to worry. Anxiety makes everything worse! Easier said than done. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
(male)

LondonIrish HB User

Ok so I went to the doctor yesterday and explained. I have to say that was the quickest in and out to a doctor I have ever seen. He just poked at it, brought in someone I assume was interning and told her to feel it too. I was in there for less than 10 minutes. Basically it's a sebaceous cyst so he prescribed me a 28 pack of 500mg Flucloxacillin which I have to take 4 times a day. He said that if it was still hurting after that to come back. He also said that once the infection is gone I can either have the lump removed or let it stay, it's up to me. Thanks to everyone who replied and put my mind at ease a bit

Old 05-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
(female)

Glad to hear that it's nothing more serious. Hope the antibiotics help so you are no longer in pain.

Closed Thread