It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
(male)

dec7 HB User
Exclamation Worrying Chest Pain

Hi all,

I am an 18 year-old male from Scotland in the UK and lead a generally healthy lifestyle. I rarely indulge in chocolate or junk food and visit the gym at least three times a week. I generally only drink water. Around a year ago I experienced my first bout with anxiety. I was on holiday in Magaluf with a few mates when I got short of breath whilst walking. I began to feel faint and get pins and needles in my hands. After a nap I felt better. I put this down to the alcohol consumption of the week and the withdrawal from it. I researched the symptoms and discovered General Anxiety Disorder. I have 99% of the symptoms for this. Ever since, these 'attacks' have become more frequent and serious. Now, there are times when I genuinely feel like I am going to die. Silly thoughts pass through my head like 'what if I forget how to breathe?' etc. and I need to go to the toilet or somewhere to be alone for 5 minutes or so. I feel short of breath, pins and needles in my hands and occasionally heart palpitations. I find these attacks are worse when I'm hungover. Long story short, these attacks have started interfering with my studies and general life. I spoke with a doctor who referred me to the psychology unit which I hope will help. However, today and yesterday I have had a pain in my chest which spreads on to my left arm and shoulder. The pain is somewhat dull and comes and goes throughout the day. I am not sure whether this is related to my anxiety issues in any way and therefore whether to take action. They have come from nowhere thus are pretty concerning. Can anyone offer advice on this and my anxiety generally?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Worrying Chest Pain

Hi was the heart actually checked with a cardiologist and ECG test? Next time the pain is in the chest or left arm the emergency room sounds good. Sometimes heart things are missed by the profession. An angiogram might also be done. I suggest absolutely not one more drop of alcohol in your entire life. I saw a film years ago that demonstrated the blood sludging up under the influence of alcohol. Are you overweight?
I would not use the weights in the gymn either. The medical profession thinks some people are wrecking their heart valves with it. Walking is the best exercise it is said.

Last edited by sjb; 05-28-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: addition made

Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I agree with sjb about the Alcohol, it is not helping your condition whatever it may be.
Pain in the chest and radiating into the shoulder or arm needs investigating as it could be a heart condition. Also Anxiety can and will cause pains in the chest area.
Definitely tell your Dr about your latest problem of chest/arm pain, are you on medication for Anxiety?...
All the best ,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
sjb (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
(female)

shermel2 HB User

I completely understand what you are going through. I am going through exactly what you have described. I also have dizziness, heart palpations, and a feeling that you are going faint or pass out at any moment. I just started having the chest pains about 2 weeks ago. It feels like a sharp or dull pain that can radiate down my arm or even up my neck. It is a scary thing because they mimic heart attack symptoms.

I would highly encourage you to seek help using the referral you were given. Anxiety is an awful thing to suffer from and it is life changing. I too am a student and I understand how hard it is to balance this and your studies. Seek help and in the meantime try to work on your deep breathing. This website has some great tips under the "Anxiety Tip" section. Check those out and see which ones work for you.

Good luck to you. I hope you get the care you need.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I would encourage anyone having sharp pains like that to see the doctor right away at the emergency room without waiting.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
(male)

spittings HB User

hate to say it, but you need to see a doctor for this as you do not mess around with the combination of having chest pains and pains in your left arm like you are describing as it indicates a high risk of a heart attack (you see someone rubbing their left arm and complaining about chest pains and you better get their heart looked at immediately)

The Following User Says Thank You to spittings For This Useful Post:
sjb (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi dec7,
If I was you I would ask your GP to refer you to a Cardiologist.
Some years ago my husband was having chest pains which he thought was Indegestion. This went on for a couple of days similar to how you describe and then the pain went into his arm also his jaw along with breathing difficulty. I called an Ambulance and it turned out he was in the early stages of a heart attack and finished up in hospital and found to have furred up valves leading to the heart. He had Angioplasty and was prescribed treatment for high colestrol.
It is better to be safe than sorry,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
sjb (05-29-2012)
Closed Thread