It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
(male)

jamesinUK HB User
burning/stinging sensation in roof of mouth/throat

Hi, i am hoping someone may be able to help me, for the past 6 weeks i have had a burning/stinging sensation in roof of mouth and throat. for around 1-2 weeks i also had a lot of aching in my stomach / chest (this could have just been coincidence), my mouth has also felt a little on the dry side and sometimes even my tongue has felt a little tingerly.

My gp looked at my mouth and couldn't see much wrong, he felt me stomach and listened to my chest and didn't feel / hear anything wrong with either, so he said he feels it must be acid reflux and it has probably just burnt my mouth / throat. he then prescribed me 28 days worth of ppi drugs (this was around 14 days ago). my chest / stomach symptoms went fairly quick (not sure if that was a result of the ppi drugs or not), but my mouth / throat stinging has remained and hasn't eased off at all really.

i now have 14 days left of my ppi's and given that i have had these throat symptoms for around 6 weeks now is starting to frustrate me a bit, i am also starting to doubt whether it is acid reflux related (i just think my throat should have started healing by now).

does anyone have any ideas or can anyone say that this does infact sound like acid reflux?

thanks

james

Old 07-22-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
(male)

jamesinUK HB User
Re: burning/stinging sensation in roof of mouth/throat

anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

There are two possibilities in your case, either your mouth issues aren't related to reflux, or they are and the medicine isn't helping.

It could be it's not reflux. Other possibilities could be something called oral allergy syndrome, where the mouth itches and burns after eating certain foods, especially raw fruits. OAS is usually seen in people who have seasonal allergies.

Or, it could be it is reflux, and the meds just aren't working. Thing is, PPIs work great for stomach pain and heartburn, but it's harder for them to relieve acid-related symptoms in the mouth and throat.

The stomach is designed to endure acid. And everyone has a little acid reflux now and then, so the esophagus also has some natural defenses against stomach acid. Thus, when you take medicine that reduces the concentration of acid in your stomach, it helps the pain.

However, the mouth and throat have no defenses again hydrochloric acid, and there's no reasonable way to suppress ALL stomach acid production. So as long as the gastric juices are winding up in your throat (where they don't belong) they can still cause trouble.

Options: If you think it might be related to certain foods, try cutting them out for awhile. If it might be reflux, try some non-drug measures, such as eating smaller meals and avoiding alcohol, caffeine and smoking.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

What you are describing sounds like stomatitis-inflammation of mouth. I would make sure you are not anemic with a blood count, get a B12 and folate level done, ask for a yeast culture, and tests for autoimmune disease if all these other things are ok. Also, many medications can cause stomatitis as a side effect, so if you are on any meds, I would research them and see if any could be the culprit. It would help too to look in your mouth and throat and at your tongue for redness, white patches, ulcers, deep cracks in tongue, and swollen nodes under your jaw in your neck, and report any findings to your Dr. If you get nowhere, sometimes good dentists are helpful in diagnosing mouth disorders and prescribing mouth washes that help soothe.

Last edited by ladybud; 07-22-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added note

Old 07-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Have you been on antibiotics recently as I have found this problem after a course of them.
Also the same can occur with Thrush (Oral Candida). You could try (Corsadyl) mouthwash or (Eludril) mouthwash, the latter one I had very good results with.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Closed Thread