It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
(female)

justiceandtruth HB User
Horrible heat intolerance, night sweats, Raynaud's... help... please...

This is my first time ever posting on a health-related message board. I'm pretty desperate and need some help. This is a long story, and if you have the stamina to read and respond...well....I'd actually be very impressed!

I'm a 38-year-old female, normal weight, fairly physically active. About a year ago, I started getting hot flashes and night sweats, with a real increase in severity within the last three months. I've always been pretty sensitive to the heat, but also within the last few months, I am literally burning up if it's over 70 degrees, and I sweat like a beast walking a minute from my car into work. Also, during the last month, when the heat is high, I get very lightheaded and on a few occasions, almost passed out. This has also started happening when I exercise. A week ago, I ended up in the ER due to dehydration, even though I drink plenty of fluids and now, they have a horrible time finding veins from which to draw blood. This was never a problem before.

A few other interesting symptoms - I have Raynaud's, which has gotten much worse during the last year or so. I've also had weird skin rashes on my shin and side - my doctor has no idea what they are. I also have something that my doc recently told me was levido reticularis, which basically means I have a pattern of lacy veins on my legs.

The lightheadedness has gotten so bad, I can't even function at work any more. I had normal thyroid tests, with only T4 slightly elevated, which the doc said was normal.

I know this is a ton of symptoms and is starting to sound like an episode of House, but if anyone has ever experienced anything similar, I'd love to hear about it.

The following user gives a hug of support to justiceandtruth:
sjb (08-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Horrible heat intolerance, night sweats, Raynaud's...help..please...

Greetings JusticeandTruth! Welcome to the General Healthboards! Well, my sympathies are offered. An antimalignan antibody serum blood test might rule out one cause of sweats. Hyperhidrosis can have other causes. An HIV test might be appropriate if there were partners and if the doctor has not already tested for it. Having already been to the doctor we will assume he tested the blood sugars. A fan or a sponge down with tepid water sometimes feels pretty decent of course it is not a cure. Peace, sjb

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
justiceandtruth (08-02-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Horrible heat intolerance, night sweats, Raynaud's... help... please...

Some forms of lymphoma - Hodgkins is one - have night sweats as a symptom. And although it might be early, have you considered perimenopause?

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

have you been tested for sjogren's or lupus?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mel52 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
(female)

justiceandtruth HB User

First...thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post! It makes me feel less isolated.

As for the HIV, I was tested and thankfully, negative. Phew!

And the perimenopause...we're trying to figure that out right now, but I have to be off of my birth control for four weeks before the testing can be accurate...so we'll see.

And lastly about lupus and sjogren's...I'm going to the rheumatologist on Friday (first time ever), so we shall see.

Thank you SO much for the thoughts and ideas! I just want to feel better, you know?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User

justice and truth, Hi I have the same trouble with sweating as you do. Every day, even in winter, the sweat just rolls down my face and head and my hair gets soaked. My chest also gets very wet too. I went through menopause at an early age, 42, and that's when it started. But it has never ended. I am 57 now and started getting severe aches and pains so I was sent to a rheumatologist and my ANA and RNP's were elevated so she decided that I have an autoimmune disease. Sjogrens is an auto immune but she thinks I have lupus or whats called a mixed connective tissue disease. So your decision to see a rheumy is a good thing. They will take a whole bunch of different blood work and see what comes up. How is your thyroid? Tell them to check that also. So welcome to the club of tests and tests and tests! These boards are great with terrific people who can any questions better then some doctors. I will be going to a lupus clinic next week. Good luck to you and lets toast to No More Sweating! lol

The Following User Says Thank You to NJLinda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
(female)

justiceandtruth HB User

Thanks for sharing your story, NJLinda...it makes me feel a touch less cuckoo

I did have my thyroid tested, and other than a very slight elevation in my T4, everything was fine.

I'll see what, if anything, the rheumatologist says tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
(female)

justiceandtruth HB User

Sadly, I am having a really, really awful day today. I basically feel like I'm in an oven, but with no fever, although I'm sitting in an air-conditioned house trying not to do much and overheat myself. I'm having a lot of lightheadedness today, and some nausea.

I hope I can hang in there until the rheumatologist this afternoon. This is SO upsetting. I've worked my whole life up until a few days ago. Scary and upsetting. I just want to feel better.

The following user gives a hug of support to justiceandtruth:
sjb (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
(female)

OMG today was awful for me too!! My husband took the day off and we were getting errands done and I had to leave 2 different stores due to sweating uncontrollably and lightheadedness! The nausea hit me to and at one point I thought I needed the bathroom. This is riduculious! I hope they can give us some answers soon. Feel better.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: NJLinda
justiceandtruth (08-04-2012), sjb (08-03-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
(female)

justiceandtruth HB User

I hope you're feeling better today, NJLinda. I'm in CT, and it is ridiculously hot and humid here. I went through the same thing with the nausea and lightheadedness yesterday. I actually had to have my husband pick me up from a doctor's appointment because I was too sick to drive home.

The rheumatologist told me yesterday he doesn't think I have an autoimmune disorder....so back to my general practitioner on Wednesday....siiighhhh.

Some answers WOULD be nice, wouldn't they?

I'm also starting to struggle with some anxiety and a few panic attacks around these symptoms. I was treated for panic disorder over 10 years ago and recovered well. I'm sure anxiety isn't helping, but it doesn't seem as if it's the cause of all of these symptoms - certainly not weird rashes, Raynaud's and night sweats.

Hang in there today.....have ice packs on standby And thanks for your ongoing support and kindness.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
(female)

Smile Re: Horrible heat intolerance, night sweats, Raynaud's... help... please...

Glad your appointment went well. Funny, I suffer from panic attacks too! For a long time. It is just as hot here in Jersey. Staying in the ac all day. I hope you get some answers for your symptoms soon. Fell well Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to NJLinda For This Useful Post:
justiceandtruth (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
(female)

justiceandtruth HB User

I can't tell you how much your posts and replies have helped - I feel SO much less "nutty," LOL! I think it's going to be a hard battle for me to explain that while yes, I am now having some trouble with anxiety, I'm also experiencing some really difficult physical symptoms.

Let's hope we both get some helpful answers soon.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Your blood work may not give you the answers. Sometimes your ANA can be negative even if you have the lupus or sjogren's.
Remember though to replace the fluid you are losing through sweating. I am now drinking gatoraid and pedialyte as the sweating apparently dehydrates me so much it may be the cause of extreme body cramping. (sjogren's too dries you out) Dehyrdration can cause weakenss, dizziness, fatigue and headaches.
Good luck with appointment and keep us in the loop with the info.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mel52 For This Useful Post:
justiceandtruth (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
(female)

Thanks for that reminder to keep drinking, Mel. I sometimes forget to drink during the day as I am not thirsty. And dehydration sucks because I've had it once or twice. Here's to us feeling better!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings Justiceandtruth! I am not sure personally if I would use icepacks since the body may turn up the metabolism (heat) just to warm up the skin around the ice packs. However being without much clothes in a room by oneself without family or visitors, blinds down, sponging the skin with a bit of tepid water and a fan may be helpful. Of course everybody decides what they want to do. Peace sjb

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
justiceandtruth (08-06-2012)
Closed Thread