It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
(male)

jliberi104 HB User
Thumbs down Chest, Back, Reflux Like Pain

Hey everyone...if anyone can diagnose my health issue, I would really appreciate it. I am a 25 male 160 lbs with no health issues as of January, 2012.

So it started in January this year I was having headaches all the time, and pretty bad...got a Cat Scan, and MRI and everything came back good. I started taking muscle relaxers for about a week and a half and headaches began to go away. The doctor believed it was muscle related. The reason I stopped taking the muscle relaxers after a week was that I started getting acid reflux type symptoms. My family doctor then diagnosed me with anxiety, which is complete B/S. He gave me Zoloft and Xanax...the Zoloft never worked and the Xanax made me feel ok, but out of it, and I wasnt trying to get hooked on them.

It is not August and my symptoms are currently occasional sharp pain under my right shoulder blade, pain in lower right abdomen, center chest pains (reflux like), shortness of breath occasionaly and lost a few pounds. I am currently on 40mg of Nexium daily and that hasnt really worked very well after two months. I have had an EKG, Chest X-Ray, Ultrasound (Gallbladder area), Gastric Emptying Study, and Endoscopy. The only thing that came back abnormal was the endoscopy which the doctor just said that there was a little bit of redness which might be h. pylori. He is now sending me for a HIDA scan next week to check for the gallbladder.

I feel like I havent been myself since January and I am a little out of it and fatigued.

My online searches are making me guess what it is more and more, but maybe thyroid or something?

I dont know...just really could use some help/knowledge on what anyone may think it is.

Thank you!

Last edited by jliberi104; 08-02-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Chest, Back, Reflux Like Pain

Gall bladder pain can sometimes be hard to pin down, as ultrasound can be normal. That pain is often referred to under the right scapula, so I think you are getting checked in the right direction. Symptoms should worsen with fatty food intake. If the Hida scan comes back normal, I would make sure there is nothing wrong with the right kidney, like a stone, as kidney/ureter pain can be referred to lower R abdomen or groin. Gall bladder pain is normally upper Right abdomen, under the ribs, not lower.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

If your HIDA scan score comes back below 35% or above 75% it is non functioning and should be removed. Don't let them just tell you it is "normal" - ask for the score. That's sometimes hard to get.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings jliberi104! Welcome to the Healthboards! I am sorry about all the pain. If the stomach is reddened drinking more water may help improve the mucous barrier of the stomach. The water should be during the day and not with meals. The most appropriate times for water are up to a half hour before meals and a little time after meals.

Cabbage juice has also been a healing substance for ulcerated stomachs and may be useful if it is reddened. Oatmeal and potatoes might be nice for the stomach. Potatoes and night shade plants might be hard on joints and give pain if one is sensitive. I would avoid things that irritate it such as medicines, vinegar, hot pepper, spices, mustard, ketchup, relish, salad dressings unless homemade without irritating substances, cheese, grease and meat. I might go easy on things hard to digest for awhile such as fats, margarines, butter, nuts and nut butter. Cherries might be useful for inflammation and turmeric. Pineapple might be useful also when the stomach feels better. I would separate vegetable meals from fruit meals.

If the gall bladder has been bothering a person mint leaves might be useful held under the tongue and or lightly chewed. If there are gallstones and the pain is severe for 2 days straight with no hours of let up it is dangerous and could be fatal so an ultrasound might be useful. Apple juice and lemons are supposed to be good for small gall stones but if there are many or large ones it might not help much.

Of course everyone makes their own health choices in life and is in charge of their own health care. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 08-03-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: disclaimer added

Closed Thread

Tags
abdoman pain, acid reflux, back pain, gall bladder, gerd