It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

JennyGxx HB User
Help! Seriously bad sore throat after surgery.

I had an operation on monday, only minor on my hand but had to stay in hospital over night because my body didn't really agree with the anaesthetic, My pulse dropped worryingly low so had to stay there. My op took about an hour and a half. I had a bit of a sore throat when I woke up but not to bad, it now seems to be getting worse Talking isn't too bad although I occasionally get croaky, its mostly swallowing that is the problem :/ even water my throat is just killing me, I have pain killers but they don't seem to be working well. Has anyone got any ideas to make this any better? I believe it is from having a breathing tube in? xx

Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Help! Seriously bad sore throat after surgery.

It is quite common to have a sore throat as sometimes they are not gentle about inserting and removing the tube. Sucking ice chips is helpful, also that anesthetic throat spray (many different sorts). Ask your pharmacist about this. It will clear up soon. Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings JennyGxx! I am sorry for the sore throat. To increase circulation I would drink plenty of water and do some walking. I would use a very comfortably warm application for 3 minutes alternating with a short 30 second cold application throat compress on the outside. I would alternate 3 more times finishing with cold and drying it, then sleep for at least one hour and better for the night. I would limit talking as much as possible to rest a bit until it is healed better without forcing talking for some time since forcing talking may ruin the voice permanently. Of course the professional could be asked about it, but everyone makes their own health care decisions in life. Peace, sjb

Old 08-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yup, the breathing tube is sometimes hard on the throat. You can try to gargle with salt water. Drinking sweet liquids like apple juice can also soothe a sore throat, since sugar reduces swelling in mucus membranes like the throat.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings JennyGxx! Fresh cherries can help reduce inflammation. Turmeric is also known to reduce inflammation. Watermelon may reduce some swelling, olive oil in small amounts may be soothing, onions have quercetin in them and may reduce inflammation. Rosemary, fruits, vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green leafy vegetables, and kale may also reduce inflammation.

Personally I would avoid sugar since it is known to increase inflammation. In an agar plate they put sugar in it to help the germs grow on the culture deliberately so they have enough of them to test. The germs use it as a food and secrete acids that produce a sort of chemical burn like reaction in my opinion. More germs means a sorer throat in my opinion. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 08-17-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo

Old 08-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
(female)

JennyGxx HB User

Thank you all for your replies, I thought that it would have been from the breathing tube. My throat is feeling a lot better now! It's still a little painful when au try to swallow anything but no where near what it was! I did try the gargling with salt water so maybe that helped me just glad to be feeling better, it was horrible not being able to eat or drink! X

Old 08-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Greetings you are welcome! Since salt water has helped it might be good in my opinion to continue that until all soreness is gone. If it is merely stopped before the sore throat is done it can get worse in soreness again. It can be done every 15 minutes to be ahead of bacteria which replicate every 20 minutes. Peace, sjb

Reply Reply