It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
(female)

Diane96 HB User
Question MRI Results

I was in an accident and had to get a MRI done. I don't understand my results and if this is the reason why I get headaches all the time. Can someone please help

CLINICAL HISTORY: Continuing post traumatic neck and upper extremity radicular pain.

PRIOR COMPARISON E)(AMINATION: None available.
TECHN;qUE: Muttiple sagittalTl weighted images are obtained through the cervicalspine followed by multiple
sagittal fast field echo'images. Axial images using fast field echo technique are then obtained. A total of 53
sequences images are presented for review.

FINDINGS: We demonstrate straightening of the usual ceruical lordosis. MR sequences show homogeneous and
expected bony structure densities and appearance without bony compression or,fracture or contusion' There are
widely patent Ap and transverse cervical spinal canal diameters. C2-3, C3-4, C4-5, and C7-T1: Usual interspaces
width; and densities. Clear foramina and no bony compression or fracture evident. The visualized cervical spinal
cord is unremarkable. Paravertebral soft tissues are unremarkable.
Of C5-6 and C6-7, 2-3 mm posterior central discal substance protrusion#herniations that do not contact the anterior
spinal cord surface and best visualized on axial T2 sequence image #15.

FINAL IMPRESSION:
1. Cervical lordosis straightening suggests muscular pain or spasm'
2. C5-6 & C6;7: 2-3 mm posterior central discal substance protrusions/herniations that do not contact
the anterior sPinal cord surface-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
Re: MRI Results

This is the important part:
FINAL IMPRESSION:
1. Cervical lordosis straightening suggests muscular pain or spasm'
2. C5-6 & C6;7: 2-3 mm posterior central discal substance protrusions/herniations that do not contact
the anterior sPinal cord surface-

This basically says (1) you have evident pain or spasm in your muscles that run up your neck that is causing your neck to become straight. Since birth our necks usually have a curve to them that is natural (lordotic), however yours has straightened out probably because you have pain and the pain is causing your muscles to straighten your neck.
(2) you have small herniations of disks in your neck vertebrae, these apparently do not impinge upon your spinal cord (so that is good!) but perhaps when you move your neck they cause irritation to the nerves that run down your arms, so that may be causing your neck muscle pain which probably causes your headaches. It is between your lower neck vertebrae, -C5 means the 5th neck (cervical) vertebrae (bone), we usually only have 7 cervical vertebrae, and the 7th connects with your chest (thoracic) vertebrae.
Basically you have 2 herniated (bulging) disks in your lower neck, these bulge in towards your spinal canal where your nerves are, that likely get irritated and cause you pain and the pain likely causes your neck muscles to hold your head differently.

You might get some relief from anti-inflammatories (to reduce the irritation) and maybe massage could help your neck muscles to not spasm so much in response to the pain, which the spasms probably cause your headaches.

I hope you feel better soon. I am not sure if herniated disks can heal, hopefully you will be able to find some relief.

Reply Reply