It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
(female)

malismom HB User
Lump below knee

I have a lump3 inches by 1 inch approximately 1 inch below my right knee,touching it makes me aware it's there although I would not say it's painful however I do get a burning sensation from it.. any ideas? I'm really scared to go to Emerg if it's nothing , I don't have a family Dr as they are hard to come by here.. any response would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
Re: Lump below knee

I see you are from Thunder Bay, family doctors are hard to come by in that area! I knew someone from Tbay that had to go to the US to get a cancer diagnosis. I think it is unlikely that your problem is cancer however. How old are you? Have you had this bump for a long time?

There is something called Osgood–Schlatter disease which affects that area just below your knee on your tibia. Usually it is a self-limiting condition which affects teenagers, but sometimes can persist into adulthood. Does the burning get better if you put ice on it? Have you tried taking an anti-inflammatory such as advil or aleve? It could be left over bone from osgood schlatter disease is irritating a nerve which is causing the burning, and the lack of other symptoms means that it is probably not an acute problem. There is not much they can do if it is ossified bone. If you can get in with a doctor or nurse practitioner or perhaps a walk-in clinic it wouldn't be a bad idea to get xrays so that it can be monitored and other conditions can possibly be ruled out.

The Following User Says Thank You to zip452 For This Useful Post:
malismom (09-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
(female)

malismom HB User

I'm 44, tried ice no change same with anti-inflammatory's. I've only noticed it the last 2 months, was getting pretty nervous about it. I had an MRI on my knee just before I noticed it but not sure if the MRI was just looking at my knee or not, will have to suck it up and go to the walk in and just hope they listen, they have a tendency to just brush things off here

Old 09-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User

I understand how they have a tendency to brush things off in Canada. Sometimes I think that it ends up costing them more money in the long run as things are caught way too late and then they have to schedule emergency scans and emergency surgeries and emergency treatments, when if they had really listened sometimes months or years in the past they may have caught something in the early stages. I would try to find out if the MRI showed anything. Ususally imaging studies include up to 1/3 to 1/2 of the adjacent bones - so an area about 1 inch below your knee should have been included and likely commented upon if there were any abnormalities. Hopefully they will have answers for you! It could be a tendonitis/bursitis of your patellar tendon or bursa. Why did you originally have the MRI? Do you know what was written on the requisition that the radiologist may have looked for?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I do think whoever you see will pay attention to a lump that large. An xray should be available in a walk in clinic. I would rather insist on it, and follow the good advice of Carzy who posted before. If the lump is squishy or moveable it is likely a bursae, if it is hard and fixed in place, it is probably a bony growth, and to be safe, needs evaluated. I would avoid kneeling on that knee to avoid inflammation. If it is a bursae, it might be drainable to get the fluid out and relieve the pain.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
(female)

malismom HB User

I originally had the MRI because I was hit by a car walking to work in April,I went to the walk in yesterday( finally a good DR) She ordered an ultrasound and blood work for tomorrow.She is checking to see if it's Lipoma which is quite fixable. The MRI showed liquid behind the patella and soft cartilage, and now have been officially referred to an Orthopedic surgeon,, thank you both so much for your replies,they have been really helpful and comforting

Last edited by malismom; 09-25-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Reply Reply