It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
(male)

Kevvin HB User
Angry Keeping track of Your body temperature for fever (30 days)

I have allergies and sinus problems and also have many sleepless nights. Also have frequent fevers and seem to run elevated body temperatures often.

I have just started tracking my daily temps, about 3-4 times during the day, and around bedtime.

I was seen at the local Emergency room about two weeks ago with fever and headache and nausea, also with fatigue. After seeing me and taking my temperature several different ways besides mouth, suggested I see my family physician keep chart of my temperature for around a month, my DR agreed.

I have nasal congestion so often and am a mouth breather, Oral readings seems to be usually inaccurate. Under the arm temps have been one of the alternatives for me rather than oral, however at the E.R recently the nurses tried two temperatures in my mouth, then one in my ear, which registered a slight fever,but still misleading so the nurse now informs me she needed to be sure and now she has to take my temperature in the rectum..... I wasn't expecting this route of thermometer placement! ,, But I cooperated.

In the rectum my temperature read 102.6

She said if not oral or if by ear shows some fever then rectal was sometimes needed for a recheck. I was told underarm temps are very inaccurate.

I have now had numerous thermometer readings taken throughout the day since Saturday, by mouth and by rectum. My temps seems to fluctuate throughout the day.

My cousin is a nurse and she agreed that Oral was the usual choice but rectal was common for alternative and very accurate. She said ear and forehead is relatively new and uncertain.

What thermometer is best? and other than oral what are the usual alternate routes?
Was this ER where I went wrong in ordering a rectal temp on me?
Is this frequently done to adults visiting the Hospital with fever?

What are the average body temperature readings of various sites ?

Oral,rectal,underarm?

Thanks

Last edited by Kevvin; 11-06-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Keeping track Your body temperature for fever (30 days)

The ER was justified in doing a rectal temperature, as that is the most accurate. In general, the axillary, oral and rectal temps all vary by about 1 degree. The average 98.6 temp is based on oral. So axillary would be 97.6, oral 98.6 and rectal 99.6. Your temperature generally goes up during the day and is highest in late afternoon and evening. You should chart your temps, to see if any particular pattern is occuring, and have a workup for what is called fever of unknown origin, to try to determine the cause of the fever. Most physicians consider anything anything over 99.4 a fever. There are many things that can cause fever beside the usual infections, and the cause should be investigated. The Drs that typically do the workups are infectious disease and rheumatologists, with oncologists coming in third.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
Kevvin (11-06-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Kevvin (11-06-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
body, fever, oral, rectal, temperature