It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

Puzzlellie HB User
Unhappy End Stage Liver Disease - confused

Hello all,

I joined this forum today as it seems to be a source of good information and support. I am a little dazed and confused at the moment and I hope someone can help?

My brother has suffered with alcohol abuse for many years (at least 20 that I can remember). He drinks large amounts of cider at home but generally lager or beer I'd he's out (I think he realises he has a cider issue and tries to hide it when out with family or company). He is 53 and recently got made redundant from his maintenance fitter job of 14 years. They were genuinely downsizing but I know that my brother had his issues over the years and so I am sure they were giving him a way out for their own benefit (health and safety) as well as being able to give him some redundancy money too. He was well thought of but they saw his demise over the years due to alcohol. They had opportunities to sack him so they were gracious in taking the route they did.

I dont see much of my brother even though we only live 2 miles apart. This is manly because I can't handle seeing him half doped and only a fraction of the man he was. He is able, in some cases, to hold himself well but it is apparent to those who know him that he is much slower and unresponsive compared to the early days.

However, when I do see him, for the past few years he has big issues with his skin and it is very red and has blister-like marks all over it (mainly over the face). My husband saw him two weeks ago and was surprised at how yellow his eyes were and last night my father told me that he had extensive bloating to the abdomen and has been for blood tests at the GP. He goes back Tues for the results. I phoned him today and he sounds good, he said he has stopped drinking as of 3 weeks ago because his symptoms concerned him. I dn know whether to believe this because his speech sounds slow and slurred but I think this is an effect of the years of drinking rather than beng drunk on that day. He drinks too much to be able to stop straight away and I understand this is nt advisable anyway? (he is/was drinking about 6-8 litres of cider a day).

I have read about abdominal swelling and it seems I am being lead towards end stage liver disease. This scares me enormously and I wonder if anyone can offer any advice given that this has only just happened to him (well 3 weeks ago).

I am scared and sometimes the Internet can make things sound worse but in this instance, I think the facts speak for themselves. Even though abdominal swelling is a sign of bug liver problems, do people always die from it or can it be treated and contained?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I would prefer the truth rather than a softened version. I am the sort of person who deals better with knows than unknowns,

Thank you all
Kind regards
Xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
alcoholism, ascites, end stage liver disease, liver disease