It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
(female)

surfergirl6324 HB User
Terrible taste in mouth

I am wondering if anyone has some insight about a horrible taste I have had at the back of my mouth for at least four now. I have been to a dentist, endodontist and my primary physician, and no one can see anything wrong with my teeth through physical exams and x-rays. I have been prescribed 4 rounds of antibiotics and each time the taste goes away only to come back within a week. both dentist and doctor assume it's a sinus infection. Since I cant take antibiotics forever, I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

I do suffer from allergies and have GERD, but what I am tasting is a rotten infection like taste, and not like I've experienced in the past from post nasal drip or acid reflux.

If anyone has any insight, I would be grateful!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Terrible taste in mouth

Have you been tested for h. pilori?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
(female)

surfergirl6324 HB User
Smile Re: Terrible taste in mouth

yes, I have been tested in the past and it's come back negative, but that is certainly something I should be tested for again. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Could be tonsil stones. Those are more common than people realize. Research them and see if that might be it! I occasionally get them and the back of my mouth has a bad taste, and I suspect bad odor too. When I can dislodge the "stones", they smell terrible.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Interesting question.
Just two weeks ago, I started having that nasty taste at the back of my mouth. I already knew that smell... tonsil stones, like W said. But I didn't see any on my tonsils when I looked. In a few days, I started having a sore throat, of the kind that a sinus infection causes. While gargling for the discomfort, a bunch of "stones" like the ones that form on tonsils were dislodged from the opening in the soft palate from which the sinuses drain. I never had them form in there before... It was a surprise. Didn't know it could happen.

All the antibiotics in the world won't help this. I suggest you go back to the MD and ask about the possibility there's some of this trapped debris somewhere in your throat or sinuses.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
Whynowthis (11-16-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
(female)

surfergirl6324 HB User

Thanks for the replies...definitely going back to my MD with your suggestions.

Reply Reply