It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

Terame HB User
An allergy of some kind?

About a year ago I discovered I have an allergy to gluten although the doctor didn't seem to care except now I am off all gluten and I am no longer on stomach meds and my tongue is not swelling and I have lost 25 lbs. So although undiagnosed by the doctor to what my allergy is I am still still getting this symptom. I am wondering if anyone else has or is experiencing a sensation of a burnt roof of mouth that doesn't go away for a long length of time. My tongue used to swell first then the roof of my mouth would start feeling burnt now just the burnt feeling. Can't eat anything spicey or hot drinks. Only one half of the roof of my mouth is burnt feeling and this is how it has always happened. Just want to know if this is unusual and I should ask my doctor for allergy tests or if this is a common allergy reaction. Thank you to anyone who may be able to answer my question.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: An allergy of some kind?

It could be a symptom of OAS - oral allergy syndrome. Or it could be any number of other things. I kept wondering why the roof of my mouth just behind my teeth kept peeling. It was hugely annoying. Then I realized after a while that it's because I always toast the bread for my sandwiches! The toasted bread would irritate the skin and it would peel. Doesn't happen when I'm not having sandwiches for lunch. All this is to say, it may be something totally inocuous and unrelated to any allergy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
(female)

Terame HB User
Re: An allergy of some kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It could be a symptom of OAS - oral allergy syndrome. Or it could be any number of other things. I kept wondering why the roof of my mouth just behind my teeth kept peeling. It was hugely annoying. Then I realized after a while that it's because I always toast the bread for my sandwiches! The toasted bread would irritate the skin and it would peel. Doesn't happen when I'm not having sandwiches for lunch. All this is to say, it may be something totally inocuous and unrelated to any allergy.
Yes, I suppose this could be. The burned mouth can last for a week and up to two weeks. Can't think of anything rough that I eat that would cause it as I can't eat bread or crackers although I do eat cheezies every now and again so that is something to watch. Thank you so much for your time in answering me. This has helped.

Reply Reply