It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

Raemi32 HB User
Mixed messages- Trying to get diagnosed

Sorry, this is long, but I have had a busy year!! I would love any input from others who may have gone through anything similar...

My problems actually started earlier this year, in January, when I started getting very faint and needing to sit down for fear I was going to pass out if I didn't. I had just gone through a very stressful move and I really thought that it was probably related to some anxiety, though I do not have and have never been diagnosed with any anxiety disorder.

I started feeling better, but in June the chest pain started. I have had some level of dull chest pain for a good portion of my life that I disregarded because it was very mild and I do have asthma. When the pain got very severe in June and moved from being dull to sharp and painful I went into the Dr. and was referred to a cardiology center. My heart chambers looked healthy on the stress test/ echo-cardiogram, but I was diagnosed with pericarditis. I was given some meloxicam, but no explanation as to why I might have it or what the underlying cause could be.

About 5 weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night with my right foot in pain. The first joint in the big toe was slightly swollen, red, inflamed with a hard bump (feeling a little like an extra little piece of bone) , and pain. My first thought was that it had been stepped on because I spend a lot of time around young children and I do get stepped on a lot lol. I also happen to live around a lot of nurses and more than one of them told me that it looked like gout, (which does run in my family). The pain and the swelling went away so I have to admit I did not go get it checked out due to my overly full schedule, but there is still a little redness with a small bump.

3 weeks ago I woke up on a Sunday feeling very fatigued and half way through the day when I tried to eat I started throwing up and getting diarrhea. It lasted for the entire day and I could not keep anything in my body at all. Every time I stood up I threw up. (I am not sure if this is related to my current issues at all but it did happen just two days before I woke up with extreme joint pain, like I have never experienced before in my life.)
The pain started in my neck and shoulders and throughout the week moved to every other joint in my body. Next my knees hurt so bad it was hard to walk, and finally my wrists and shoulders hurt so bad at the end of the week that I could not even put on my coat or open my car door without wincing and wanting to cry from the pain.

I went into the Dr. and got blood panels taken and a culture for the flu and strep. Both the flu and the quick strep test came back negative.
The urgent care center referred me to a primary care Dr. to talk about my blood results which came back abnormal and the Dr. honestly freaked me out a bit by getting extremely concerned and telling me that I may have had rheumatic fever. He said my streptococcal levels were very high, my hemoglobin was a 10, and I had developed a murmur. He indicated that I may have developed Rheumatic heart disease and then he referred me to a cardiologist.

At the cardiology center the Dr. checked the EKG that had been done at my primary care Dr. and listened to my heart, and then sat there wondering why I had been sent over since my blood panel info had not been sent over like it should have. She chalked it up to anemia and said it is probably just a flow murmur due to my menstrual cycle. I have been anemic before and I have always had a heavy menstrual but I have never had a flow murmur in my life, so I kind of feel she is just brushing me off. (It is frustrating to have one Dr. freak out and the other one act like it's probably just nothing. I would rather it be nothing, but my body has obviously been trying to tell me something is wrong.)

My cardiologist had me make another appointment for a new test, next week, to check my valves and more blood work, but I feel like my primary care Dr. is overreacting and my cardiologist is under reacting. I have had no other explanation as to what what could have cause the murmur and the joint pain at the same time other then rheumatic heart disease and I am scared but now they want me to see a Rheumatologist too.

Just a note - My blood work came back negative for Lupus...

Has anyone else been through something like this?? If so did you get any answers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
anemia, joint pain, murmurs, pericarditis