It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
(male)

mystery76 HB User
Recurring fever, chills and muscle aches

For the past two years, my wife (31 yrs old) has been experiencing episodes of recurring fever, extreme chills, muscle pains and headaches in a condensed time frame of 5-8 hours that occurs every 2-6 weeks with no specific rhythm. As of late, they’ve been happening more frequently and the last three episodes were two weeks apart. In between episodes, she's totally fine. She’s seen an infectious disease doctor, rheumatologist and hematologist. The doctors have run extensive blood work but have not pinpointed what can be causing these fevers. Her most recent doctor’s visit was to the rheumatologist, who saw some slight inflammation through her blood work, but not enough to determine she had anything specific. The only other item of note was over a year ago her white blood cell count was very low after a blood test; but after follow-up tests, it was back within normal range. This week she's seeing another infectious disease doctor at the direction of the rheumatologist, but it seems we’re running around in circles. Hoping someone here can provide some feedback. Her fevers usually hit the 101 degree mark, but sometimes lower and one time her fever hit close to 103 degrees. This has been very frustrating for both of us and I'm very concerned about the wellness of my wife.

Last edited by mystery76; 12-04-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
(female)

kls116 HB User
Re: Recurring fever, chills and muscle aches

Did you ever find out anything more about this? I had those symptoms about every 6 weeks or so about 10 years ago but they went away. Then I had a bout this week for the first time in years. I suspected then, and I'm suspecting now, that it might be related to eating sushi. This bout was very short-lived but with intense chills and achiness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, I am not a dr but the symptoms you describe sound like malaria in which case there would likely be a decrease in red blood cells leading to anemia over time. Maybe you were in a tropical climate a few years ago, it is prevalent in places like India.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
(female)

salbrecht HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery76 View Post
For the past two years, my wife (31 yrs old) has been experiencing episodes of recurring fever, extreme chills, muscle pains and headaches in a condensed time frame of 5-8 hours that occurs every 2-6 weeks with no specific rhythm. As of late, they’ve been happening more frequently and the last three episodes were two weeks apart. In between episodes, she's totally fine. She’s seen an infectious disease doctor, rheumatologist and hematologist. The doctors have run extensive blood work but have not pinpointed what can be causing these fevers. Her most recent doctor’s visit was to the rheumatologist, who saw some slight inflammation through her blood work, but not enough to determine she had anything specific. The only other item of note was over a year ago her white blood cell count was very low after a blood test; but after follow-up tests, it was back within normal range. This week she's seeing another infectious disease doctor at the direction of the rheumatologist, but it seems we’re running around in circles. Hoping someone here can provide some feedback. Her fevers usually hit the 101 degree mark, but sometimes lower and one time her fever hit close to 103 degrees. This has been very frustrating for both of us and I'm very concerned about the wellness of my wife.
I too get the same symptoms. A year prior to getting diagnosed with hashi's I would get the exact symptoms you described. After I was diagnosed with hashi's and started synthroid the fevers etc went away for 2 years. Right now my levels are on the low side of the normal range for tsh. Which we have decided is not an optimal level for me as I have many symptoms. I also have a goiter which I know is acting up right now so my dr just increased my synthroid. Now I have the fever with the muscle aches. I jusf started taking my increased dosage 4 days ago. Because I have high antibidoes and the goiter im thinking this is what has been causing my fevers. And because it takes up to 6 weeks for the new dosage to level me out im sure my body is reacting to the goiter by producing my fever. It's weird because I know when its going to happen because my skin gets super sensitive to the point the hair on my arms actually hurts when it brushes up against the inside of my shirt...then my temp drop to 96.4 I get the chills really bad with a low grade fever. It can last anywhere from 1 to 3 days and then its gone. Very nerve wracking. I know this is thyroid related and this is the second time in 3 months that this has happened therefore I paid my dr a visit so he increased my dosage...I forgot to mention the fever to him though. ..I haven't seen many with this symptom but wanted to let you know I've also experienced the same!

Closed Thread

Tags
aches, blood, chills, fever, muscle