It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
(male)

gabem86 HB User
Air hunger (dyspnea) - looking for any help

Seeing if someone might be able to help me with my air hunger problem. I'm 26 years old and have been having air hunger for the past week or so, where it is somewhat tolerable in the morning and gets worse at night. Basically I take a deep breath and can't get a full air of lungs. Then maybe about the 4th or 5th breath (sometimes every other breath if it's not that bad)

At first I thought it was due to anemia but I was recently tested and the doc said I wasn't that because my iron levels are normal. I was anemic a couple of years ago, but it's fine now.

I don't smoke or do drugs, I'm in pretty decent shape because I work out and run, my heart is normal, oxygen level 100%, I'm not sick (no cough, no cold, no sinus pressure), and don't have visible signs of major allergies.

I'm going to get tested for gluten intolerance and allergies, but I do know that I have acid reflux; GERD. I suspect it might be the GERD but the doc didn't see a hiatal hernia in my lung x-ray. But I heard that you should get a barium swallow to be sure. Also, I had an upper GI a couple of years ago to get tested for celiac which came out negative, but the doc mentioned I had some erosion in the esophagus. But he didn't tell me to take any action. So I didn't, and I've had acid reflux since then. The doc prescribed Prilosec OTC to deal with the GERD and hopefully strengthen my asaphogus.

People with air hunger - what else should I get tested for, and what have you done to get rid of your air hunger, if you were able to get rid of it?

P.S. One thing that I find puzzling; I had bad air hunger maybe over a year ago or so. So I started taking Vitamin B12 and B complex supplement and the air hunger IMMEDIATELY went away. This lasted a few weeks til it came back and I added iron; again, it worked for a few month, stopped working, added a multivitamin, worked, and recently wore off and well, here I am! Why might that be? Does that somehow relate to GERD, or might I have some kind of other inbalance in my blood?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Air hunger (dyspnea) - looking for any help

My only thought is that reflux can mimic asthma and your breathing symptoms can also be an asthma symptom. You might consider that it's the reflux - or get tested for asthma to be sure it's the reflux and not asthma.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
(male)

gabem86 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I know it's not asthma, because the doc also tested for that, so I know I don't have asthma.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Then it just may be the reflux causing it. I had a friend who was treated for asthma for several months by her GP and when It didn't go away she sent her to a asthma doc who determined she had reflux. The reflux treatments have worked on the symptoms.

Closed Thread

Tags
air hunger, difficulty breathing, dyspnea, gerd, respiratory