It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
(female)

FECS HB User
Help needed with possible asperger's girl

This young woman (about 18-22 years old) that I go to course with, I think she may have asperger's. I'm not sure though because neither she nor the people teaching this course have said anything. I am at course about five days a week so I see her quite a bit.

Her symptoms are:

She doesn't seem to understand what is appropriate and inappropriate in conversation.

She gets offended easily if you misunderstand her, or if she misunderstands you.

She shares a lot of personal information about herself without getting to know you first.

Her mental age seems to be younger than her physical age. (I know this doesn't happen in all cases, but I read it can happen in some)

She doesn't seem to understand or notice that the way she acts makes others uncomfortable, such as when she shares so much personal information, other people don't know what to say because that doesn't usually happen in conversations between people who only see eachother at course.

The way she eats (smacking her lips and eating with her mouth open) makes others uncomfortable but she doesn't seem to notice.

She also has a speech impediment where she doesn't speak clearly, and she also talks a bit fast, and when others can't understand her she gets a bit annoyed and, if you thought she said something else, corrects you as though it was your fault for misunderstanding her, or if you ask her to repeat herself she says it again but she sounds annoyed at having to repeat herself.

The purpose of this long post, is to see if anyone can tell me what she might, if anything, have and hopefully give me advice on how to deal and talk with her. She seems like she is trying really hard to become a part of the group at course and make friends, but she is going about it the wrong way a no one knows how to deal with her. So I'd like to know how to so I can hopefully help in some way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
(female)

Ninabeena HB User
Re: Help needed with possible asperger's girl

There are so many things that could be going on with this young lady. She may indeed have asperger's, a personality disorder, other mental disability, or simply be a product of her upbringing. If she had a troubled childhood, this could cause these behaviours. She also may not even be aware that her behaviour is what some would consider abnormal. It is difficult to really understand what's going on with her unless you have some knowledge of her past.

Reply Reply

Tags
advice, asperger's syndrome, autism, friendship, support