It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
(male)

corey9447 HB User
Smile hip surgery

hi my 66 year old mother fell and broke her hip after she came out of the surgery sheis now very confused she remembers certain things people but some things like what hospital you in she dont know or what you had for breakfast so doint remember before her accident she was a little forgetful i blamed that on the beer she likes to drink but now im confused with her confusion dr.s say ill go away after a month or so have any one been in my situation?

Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
(male)

rather HB User
Re: hip surgery

Do not worry about these things just go to good hospital of your city.

The Following User Says Thank You to rather For This Useful Post:
corey9447 (02-14-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The elderly sometimes have confusion after anesthesia. How long ago was her surgery? My grandmother, who was in her 80's at the time, kept saying she was pregnant after her back surgery!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
corey9447 (02-14-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Also when they are out of their environment of the home they can get like that. The only thing I would ask about her blood panels making sure everything is coming back normal such as potassium, sodium, and such. My mom at 93 had a bad case if diarrhea her sodium level got so low it was as if she had Alzheimer's for about two weeks. She normally is pretty clear, even has a Facebook acct.

How long has it been since surgery? You could always ask for a Neuro exam in about a week if she hasn't cleared up some.

I know I was worried my mom had a stroke or something so I know how you feel.

Cathy

Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
(male)

corey9447 HB User

thank you for your feedback she had surgery last wednesday and the dr.s cant seem to make her eat

Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would think this is common since it's been that recently. I would give it more time before I would be concerned about any long term issues. I think the doctors are most likely correct.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

You say last wed do you mean two days ago wed or the wed before last ? If its the latter the I think I would ask for a Neuro consult just in case. Remember they work for you! Good luck let us know how it goes cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
corey9447 (02-20-2013)
Reply Reply