It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

no pain control ....new laws

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #1
blessing1
(female)

blessing1 HB User
no pain control ....new laws

Hi everyone!
I am a newbie! I work as a Rn in Icu...so you would think I would be familiar with what was up with these new pain med laws...well all I can say is I really don't agree with what is going on, but I don't see it affecting everyone...and I can't figure out how its working, who gets meds and who doesn't.! It has not affected the way I practice in the hospital, no new policies for Icu, but Er it has...

I have had chroninc pain for as long as I can remember and it appears my girls have it as well, I have had a double mastectomy for breast ca in 2005 and I have some bone spurs on spine. My worst pain is neck and shoulders and hips and low back....I have cyst in my low back..called tarlov cyst....they usually do not cause pain. In my shoulder it is a pinched nerve.....I have a Tens unit which I love and have had injections in my hips...which has helped...I used to take Tylenol 3 and tramadol prn for pain. I have always had anxiety. I took a small dose of xanax 0.25 or most of the time 0.125 as needed not every day.

Now since Jan 2014/ new laws.....I was sent to a pain clinic.... is a hour and half away, and tried a few things....butrans patch which I'm allergic to. Now it has just been crazy meds adjustment...I am currently on tramadol 300 mg er....with tramadol 50 two times a day if needed.... 50 of zoloft and vistiril for anxiety....instead of xanax... This was done yesterday by my reg Doc...I told her I did not want to return to pain clinic...I just wanted to stay with her....I was a mess mainly because of anxiety and depression ....I have a ton of home stressor, and just lost my mom and my dad is alone....so she adjusted to meds above...I ask her if I could go back on my meds I was on originally toradol and xanax and tylenol 3.....she said no...I did not push...

Just wondering anyone have in insight to why you can't be treated with narcotics and xanax..? they r for different problems...

Does anyone know of things that help wide spread muscle pain....

I will not have good pain control on these meds, but I really don't know what to do....

We were taught in nursing school, Pain is what the patient says it is...and it was to be treated..

Thanks in advanced!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread