It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

Please help me understand my MRI results

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
Jake715
(male)

Jake715 HB User
Please help me understand my MRI results

So I have had back problems since I was in High School. I'm a 31 yr old male and I had a Discectomy at the L5-S1 level in 2011. I continue to have lumbar level pain so u had an MRI done and have the results. Can anyone help me understand the results please? Here they are:

Indication: displacement of the lumbar intervertebral disc without myelopathy. Left sided back pain with radiculopathy.

Findings: For the purposes of this report, there is lumbarization of S1 with a rudimentary S1-S2 disc space. This nomenclature follows that utilized on the previous MRI. T12 is designated as the last rib-bearing vertebral body. This places the conus at T-12-L1 and is normal.

There is mild straightening of the normal Lumbar Lordosis. There is desiccation of the L5-S1 disc space without significant loss of height. There are small areas of Modic Type 1 Endplate degenerative change at the L5-S1 Endplates.

Axial Images:

L4-L5: Normal.

L5-S1: There is a small disc bulge abutting the sac and the bilateral traversing S1 nerve roots. There is mild Central Canal Stenosis. There is mild Left Facet Arthropathy. There is Moderate to Severe Left and Mild Right neural Foraminal Narrowing. This appears to have mildly progressed since the previous exam. There are surgical changes of a left-sided hemilaminotomy. There is enhancement surrounding the traversing left S1 nerve root on post-contrast. T1 weighted images, consistent with an area of peridural fibrosis. Recommend correlating for left S1 radiculopathy. There is no significant atrophy of the para spinal muscles or the psoas muscles.

Impression:
1. There is again a small disc bulge abutting the sac at P5-S1, producing a mild central canal stenosis. There are surgical changes of a left sided hemilaminotomy. There is Moderate to Severe left Neural Foraminal Narrowing. This appears to have progressed since the previous exam. Recommend correlating for a left L5 Radiculopathy.
2. There is enhancement surrounding the traversing left S1 nerve root at the L5-S1 level on the post contrast images. This likely reflects a small area of Peridural Fibrosis. Recommend correlating for any left S1 radical at symptoms.

Can anyone please dumb this down to English so I can understand? Thank you
:-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread