It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

Night Sweats and Extreme Fatigue

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
HarleyQuinn
(female)

HarleyQuinn HB User
Night Sweats and Extreme Fatigue

I am a 24 year old female graduate student. I don't smoke, don't drink, and don't do drugs. For over a year now I have been experiencing extreme fatigue during the day. I didn't think much of it until I also began having night sweats. At first the night sweats weren't that bad, just enough to wake me up and be annoying. After a month of this I decided to see a doctor. I was told that this was probably due to a hormonal imbalance and I was treated with birth control. After about two months, worsening fatigue, and an addition of shortness of breath, I saw another doctor. This doctor was extremely concerned. She did several blood tests and an EKG. Everything was normal except for hemoglobin which was slightly elevated. She attributed this to the fact that I probably just have higher than normal levels of hemoglobin, told me to take a multi-vitamin and return in a month. A month later I returned with the same symptoms and she told me that it was probably due to a viral infection, not to worry it would get better on its on. The fatigue worsened, to the point where I missed classes several times because I was too tired to get out of bed. In addition, the night sweats were getting to the point where I would wake up every night completely drenched, with soaked sheets. Six months later I applied for a family doctor in the area and was seen promptly. She said that it was probably due to stress and prescribed me Paxil, changed my birth control and told me to return in a month. A month later I returned, with the same symptoms. The birth control seemed to be working better, but I still had extreme fatigue, night sweats, and shortness of breath. She did nothing and told me to come back in three months. Three months later I went back, again with the same symptoms. She ran several blood tests, which all came back completely normal. While at the office she noticed that I had a cough. I told her that I had it for over a month now, I figured it was probably just a cold. She told me I had bronchitis, prescribed me an antibiotic and told me to call her if the fatigue continued. About a week after finishing the antibiotic I still had a cough, fatigue, shortness of breath, and drenching night sweats, so I called. I was told that the fatigue was probably just due to anxiety and that if I really felt the need to discuss it I could come in. That was 2 weeks ago, and I still have not made an appointment. I've been seeing a therapist to rule out depression. My husband and I have started a routine where we go to bed every night at 11:00PM, or earlier. We wake up everyday at 7:30AM, stretch, and go for a walk (about a mile or more) before we go to work. For the night sweats I've tried different sheets, turning down the temperature, and sleeping without sheets. So far nothing seems to be working. I feel worse than ever. I still soak my sheets every night. I don't have the energy to complete simple tasks. My brain feels like it's in a fog, I can't concentrate, I've missed so many classes that I'm surprised I've passed anything, I've missed so much work that I'm to the point where I could lose my job, I get short of breath walking up one flight of stairs, I feel like I might faint when I stand up, I get dizzy very easily, and my muscles feel weak. I feel like crap and I don't know what's causing it!

Has anyone out there had similar symptoms and gotten a diagnosis? What did you do to make your doctors take you seriously? Should I request other tests than blood tests? How many more doctors should I see? Any advice would really help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
lenvegas
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: Night Sweats and Extreme Fatigue

Hi, have you been tested for Mononucleosis? The only other possibility I can think of is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Hope you get to the bottom of this and start feeling better.......

Closed Thread

Tags
cough, dizzy, fatigue, muscle weakness, night sweats