It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

FEVER! - Tetanus from the screw? the Bee/wasp/spider or what?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Chicago Farm
(male)

Chicago Farm HB User
Unhappy FEVER! - Tetanus from the screw? the Bee/wasp/spider or what?

....Well there you have it.. couple of weeks ago I (sort of) stepped on a screw. It was just the top of a decking screw sticking out of the top of a scrap of wood about an inch that I had previously screwed to the bottom of the garage door to keep out vermin. I had removed it and would normally never let hardware stuck out of lumber, but it was this one tiny screw and I was getting ready to sort some scraps I had in the rafters. This garage has not been vented regularly and sometimes the other users (2) run their car in there for a bit and shut the door. Even with my curtain partition I'm sure the oxygen could be a little low in there.

moving on.. i was standing on the board when I felt a pain as the little stubby pressed the flesh right through the crappy shoes I was wearing.

I didn't think much of it as I pulled it away quickly and saw that it was the round end of a screw.. not a nail or the pointy side. I threw off my shoe and only felt a pinch of pain and no blood or discernible puncture. There was a red mark, but I brushed it off as a sort of blood blister. ...so I put my shoe on and got back to work. A few days later there was minor pain at the sight and then it passed in a 3-4..

around the same time i also had a spider bite in a couple of spots when it fell down the back of my shirt.. never saw the spider.And a minor bee sting

Last Wednesday I was burying compost and the bee's that took up residence (which I don't mind) became restless. I was hosing things down when I felt a sharp pain that I assumed to be a bee and instinctively smacked the hell out of the left side of my right knee.. I peered down an there was no stinger, but I assumed that i had smashed it out of the way.. Probably after pumping loads of whatever venom into the site. I hit it with the hose and went back to work.

Later I looked at the wound and it looked like two marks so I began to wonder if it wasn't another spider brushed of of the cherry tree tree whose leaves and branches I was standing among.

..Other than that I cut and puncture myself more often than necessary I walk in tick infested woods.. etc,,

-My symptoms fever since Friday
Fever...as high as 101.8 (today) low as 100.2 (now)
-Had chills and sweating on and off. until Sunday. mostly gone..
-was tired,but couldn't sleep well.
- No pain, stiffness, or twitching muscles that I would associate with Tetanus..
-fairly persistent minor headache.

I've taken hot baths.. cool ones.. aspirin, multi-symptom nyquil, and aleveve. (sp)

Now that I've imagined everything including fangs mashed into my leg I've began to wonder if it's the bouillabaisse of poison? am i just sick from exhaustion?

I don't get sick often, but when I do I try keep it interesting..

but in case I could get into worse shape.. I'm asking for thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
lenvegas
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: FEVER! - Tetanus from the screw? the Bee/wasp/spider or what?

Hi, a fever indicates the body creates heat to fight off a pathogen so if your fever continues then you could be best served by seeking medical attention and perhaps a round of antibiotics. Also, since you spend time in the woods you could add to your possibilities list a tick bite which can cause Lyme disease, a condition you would want to have evaluated ASAP....Good luck with this

Old 07-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
anwis67
(female)

anwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB Useranwis67 HB User
Re: FEVER! - Tetanus from the screw? the Bee/wasp/spider or what?

Could be West Nile Virus? Most people have a mild reaction and chalk it up to a cold or flu. I stepped on a nail a few years back and with 18 hours I had a red streak to my knee so I wouldn't think that you have tetnus b/c it is a fast acting pathogen. Hope that you feel better soon.

Closed Thread

Tags
tetanus shot