It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

How to Correct Leaning Forward Posture and Shorter Stride length?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
JohnD999
(male)

JohnD999 HB User
How to Correct Leaning Forward Posture and Shorter Stride length?

Hi,

I'm an newbie here, so I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.
I have found that my stride length is getting shorter as I get older. Is there an exercise that will help counteract this tendency?

I have noticed that I lean forward (from the waist) whenI walk. When I notice this, I stop,. I make a slight movement to put my shoulders above my hips and above my heels.So I am standing upright. And I start again, (and I repeat the process every few steps).

Can anyone suggest an exercise that I can do to maintain the ability to walk without leaning forward? All of this 'rebalancing' is slow, and thats very frustrating.

Thank.
J

Last edited by moderator2; 08-26-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #2
lenvegas
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: How to Correct Leaning Forward Posture and Shorter Stride length?

Hi, as we get older we become more stiff and our muscular structure is not as fluid as it used to be. You can see this in some of the elderly when turning around they have to rotate their whole body instead of pivoting in place. The very best exercise to get the body to be loose is yoga. Yoga exercises gently stretch every important muscle group in the body and will make you feel younger as you progress as you gain more confidence in your stride and appearance. Most mid size cities have several yoga studios and the classes I have seen are mostly women which in my book is a good thing......good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to lenvegas For This Useful Post:
JohnD999 (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How to Correct Leaning Forward Posture and Shorter Stride length?

You might also try doing lunges with your arms out to the side with the palms up. You cannot slump forward with your arms in that position. It makes you stand erect. And the lunges will center you (not to mention help with your booty!)

Closed Thread

Tags
older adults, walking problems