It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 06:38 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: Young people losing parents?

Well, I was 11. My mom died of cancer in 1969...Now you know how old I am....lol...I had an older sister who took care of me. I don't know what I would have done without her. We're still very close....have a lot of memories to share...good and bad...I can remember when my son turned 11, I thought, how in the world can an 11 yr old survive without their mom?? but I did. I still miss her alot...I have 3 sisters, I'm the youngest, and we all lost mom too early. But we made it and every does...it's just the hardest thing I've ever been through..

Old 07-22-2005, 12:20 PM   #17

spag HB User

Thank you John.
Your message was lovely.

Im sorry to hear what you have been through it must have been very hard.

I have had some really bad day but i am trying to remain positive and be grateful for the time I have had with my Dad and for being blessed with such an amazing Dad.

Take care and all the best.

Xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #18
(female)

Saraw08 HB User

Woah I haven't checked this thread in quite some time (lack of internet access at home). I read through all these posts and wow... I just don't feel so alone. Thank you all so much. There are times when I feel alone because none of my firends can really identify with me.

Spag- I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I was faced with the same thing with my mom. She took a turn for the worst in August as I was about to leave for University. You sound incredibly mature for your age (situations like these tend to bring out the maturity in us young'ns). Enjoy the time you have with your father and please keep us posted. You are in my prayers.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:00 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I lost my dad when I was 38 and my mom when I was 39. It was a 13 month period. Less than 5 months after that, my mom's youngest sister and my dad's only sister died, too. It's only been 2 years, and my pain hasn't gone away yet. I'm an only child, never married or have kids. I'm 10 hours away from my nearest family, and things get lonlier every day.

The hardest part is having either a problem or good news and I think to myself that I need to call my dad and talk about it. One time I went as far as to pick up the telephone, but reality hit me pretty quickly. Sometimes it's hard to get out of bed each day.

wb

Old 08-25-2005, 06:29 AM   #20
(female)

charlie188 HB User

I'm 18 and my mum died from cancer when i was 11, my Dad then died suddenly last year when i was 17. I wish there were some nice words i could tell you that would help take the pain away but unfortunatly theres not. All I can say is the old cliche about time being the best healer. This may not be true in the early stages and certanley losing both your parents takes a long time to come to terms with. Its been a year since my Dad went and i still can't get my head around it and fully accept that he's not here anymore all i can hope is that in time it will get easier. I wish you all the best take care

Old 11-04-2005, 11:01 AM   #21
(male)

jay_1204 HB User
Unhappy Re: Young people losing parents?

this dosent really relate to me but,my step dad died and his daughter,my wee sister is only 7 years old .Its onyl been 8 months since he died.But he died in another country on holiday and she never got to say goodbye or anything.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #22
(female)

landlockedblues HB User

My mom also died when I was 19. It was the worst thing I've ever been through. She was not sick; she died very suddenly of a brain anneurism....one second she was alive, the next she was gone.
That was five years ago and now I am able to talk about it, and her, more. The pain never goes away, but I find ways to deal with it. I find little ways to honor her memory like buying flowers on her birthday and mother's day helps me with the grieving process. It also helps to talk about it. Are you talking to people about your mother's death? How did she die? I'm so sorry.

Last edited by landlockedblues; 11-04-2005 at 04:38 PM.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

I lost my dad when I was 18.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:26 PM   #24
Veteran
(female)

Karen W. HB User

Hi,
I work with someone who's Mom had died last spring, his Mom was 0nly 45 years old. My friend is 24 years old and his brother is 19. About a week before Thanksgiving I had notice a change in my friends behavior, he was so tempermental and just wanted to be left alone. I knew in my heart what the problem was. This is the first Thanksgiving without his Mom. I just let him have his space. Just last week he came up to me and just stated talking about his Mom, He misses her so much, My friend has a little girl, he has joint custody of his little girl. He said it's so sad that she doesnt have her grandma any more. He told his Dad and brother that they have to put up the Christmas tree for his little girl for when she comes over. That little girl is going to bring some joy to there Christmas-she has a big job ahead of her and she doesn't even realize it. My friend had told me that right now he cannot handle any stress and he is having a hard time working, WE work in a store so you have to deal with customer all the time. My heart goes out to him and all I can do is support him and be a good listener. What kind of feelings are you going threw? My Freiend says life is so unfair.
Karen W.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #25
(female)

WednesdaysChild HB User

I am so sad to hear about everyone's loss but it makes me feel not so all alone in this respect.

I just lost my father two weeks ago to cancer and I am 26 years old. I never thought I would have to go through something like this at my age. I have good days and bad days. I am still having trouble sleeping.

I just feel sad that he's gone, and that he won't get to share in my life from this point on. At least I had a chance to tell him I loved him one last time and I knew that he was proud of me and of what I have done with my life so far. It's still not entirely real to me that he's really gone, but I guess I will come to grips with that as time goes on.

All the best to you all.

-WC

Old 12-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #26
(female)

PJ'sDaughter HB User
Unhappy Re: Young people losing parents?

I'm glad that I came upon this site. I lost my dad 3 weeks ago to Pulmonary Fibrosis. It was so sudden and unexpected. I am still in shock and so is my mom. Every once in a while I realize how great a loss this is and I feel like throwing up. I can't control when I am going to cry and I started having nightmares about his death.
I really feel for everyone who has posted. It is such a hard thing to lose a parent at any age.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:06 AM   #27
(female)

altoclef77 HB User

I lost my dad to cancer about 8 months ago, when I was 1*. This is the first Christmas I will have spent without him, so i've been really sad and emotional lately. I'm so unsure of what to believe in right now. I just don't understand how it could possibly have been right for me to lose him. Plus, my mom just started dating again and it's been really difficult seeing her with someone other than my dad. I know she's lonely, so i dont want to say anything to her, but the last thing i want right now is a whole new family. Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 12-21-2005 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Please dont post your age when under 16

Old 12-28-2005, 03:20 AM   #28
(female)

norwaymonkey HB User

I was 25 when my father passed away of cancer I found it somewhat scary to have to face the world without my daddy who I relied on for his unconditional love and support in all decisions I made in life. My dad used to travel for business alot when I was a kid and there are honestly times I have myself convinced he is still on one of those trips and will be home soon. Its unreal how your life can change so drastically so quickly when you are so young

Old 12-29-2005, 04:53 AM   #29
(female)

kdawg33 HB User

I lost my father suddenly from heart disease when I was 13. I am now 31 and it is still horrible. I was Daddy's little girl and he was most of my world. My Mother started dating 3 months after he passed and married 3 months after that. We have had a charade of a relationship as a result so I felt I lost both parents within 6 months of each other. (I have heard the "its the way she grieved" crap, whatever...I don't want to hear it from someone who hasn't lost a parent...not you guys, but I have had friends try to sell me that line and it really pissess me off, my mother abandoned me for her love life...end of story)

It also meant we didn't grieve as a family...actually, I hardly grieved at all because I was supposed to accept my Stepfather right away. I think I go through rough patches around the holidays and important days. The hardest thing is feeling like I have no memories of him, or that I can't remember what his voice sounded like. Hands down the hardest thing I have gone through...and I am terrified, TERRIFIED of losing anyone else.

My best therapy is laughter and hugs from my husband. It is still hard for me to talk about, I hate crying or getting emotional in front of others. I also feel like no one really understands...and I don't want to bother them.

I think it will always be hard for me. I really do...

Old 12-30-2005, 06:42 PM   #30
Veteran
(female)

chysmom HB User

I lost my father when I was 19 from Hep C. Its been almost 3 yrs now. He got it back in the 70s from a blood tranfusion and it came out in 2000. He lived for a couple yrs after he found out he had it. My father was my world. I had a daughter in 2001 and she was 18 mos when he passed away. She doesnt remember him but I do have a ton of pics around and I tell her about him every day.

Closed Thread