It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 02:53 AM   #31
(male)

ssorsiwel HB User
Re: Young people losing parents?

Hi,
I lost my Dad at 11 from a major motorcycle accident which witnessed.Lost my mom 9 years later of Lupus her's was a slow death.I am 42 now , I only know it will get better and much much more of a lighter load to bear on your shoulders .
Hang in there.
P.s I'm very sorry for your all of your losses!

Last edited by ssorsiwel; 02-02-2006 at 03:04 AM.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 AM   #32
(female)

kittrellk HB User

Hello... I as 24 when my dad died, and like you I wonder about my wedding day and my children. I told my mom that I feel like a butter fly trying to fly with only one wing... her being my other wing. I am sorry all of you have had this pain, my heart is with you~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #33
(female)

Lsg913 HB User

Hello.

I literally just found this forum online, and as soon as I read the subject I registered immediately.

I am 23 and I lost my mom 5 years ago in a car crash. Recently I have been having a really hard time talking to people about my thoughts and feelings, and it's driving me crazy. So often I feel completely separated from everyone around me, particularly when I am around young people, because part of me feels so old and removed from their experiences. Does anyone else have this experience?

The question I always have is, why am I so afraid to tell people that my mom's death is on my mind all the time? Is my fear more about their reactions, or my own?

Old 02-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #34
(female)

altoclef77 HB User

I know exactly what you mean. I felt so separated from my friends after my dad died that I completley went into denial, and now, nearly a year later, it's difficult to bring it up. But i feel like i really need to talk to someone about how i'm doing, cause i'm not even close to being done with grief. I'm hesitant to talk to my friends about it because they can't relate and probably dont want to listen to my weepy stories all day long, you know? It's like i'm wasting my youth, thinking constantly about my dad and wondering if i'll ever be completley ok. i'm very slowly beginning to open up to my closest friends though, and they really try their best to sympathize with me

Old 02-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #35
(female)

blondyblondie HB User

I found this site cuz i'm kinda feeling sorry for myself right now and it's comforting to find others around my age who have had similar experiences. I'm 26 and i've been losing my mom to cancer for a year and a half. She was given a 1.5-2 year prognosis and she is still in decent health but it's so hard to try to do anything with my life because i feel so guilty if i don't spend as much time as i can with her and try to be the perfect daughter. I've lost grandparents and friends to cancer and i've seen them on their deathbeads and i know soon enough it'll be my mom lying there struggling to breath and the thought makes me so sick to my stomache. It's hard because i look at her now and it's so easy to pretend she's not sick and it's so hard just waiting for it to happen, especially because i'm holding it all in and trying to live my life as normal as possible but the waiting is so hard. People treat it like i'm lucky to have her still, which i know i am because i can say goodbye and make everything right but at the same time just knowing that the worse is yet to come is driving me crazy!

Old 02-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #36
(male)

ssorsiwel HB User

Hi,
I lost my Dad at 11 from a major motorcycle accident which I unfortunately witnessed.Lost my mom 9 years later of Lupus her death was a slow very different from my Dad's.I am[INDENT]now 42 , I only know it will get better and much much more of a lighter load to bear on your shoulders .
Hang in there.
P.s I'm very sorry for your all of your losses![/QUOTE]Any feed back would be nice thank's

Last edited by ssorsiwel; 02-07-2006 at 04:18 PM.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #37
(male)

ssorsiwel HB User

Has anyone else witnessed there parents death?

Old 02-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #38
(male)

sammyboy22 HB User

I lost my mother when I was 18. I was a senior in highschool and she had been battling cancer (first lung, then brain, then ultimately pancreatic and liver) throughout most of my time in highschool. It was 5 years ago on Feb.18th. It is really hard, still. I miss her so much. I think about her every single day. It was so hard to watch her fight like a dog against such a horrible illness. I am ultimately relieved though that she is free from any pain and she is in a better place now. I was really close with her, that is why it is so hard. I sometimes feel like she was really the only person who understood me... It will get a little bit easier as time goes on. Sometimes it hits me harder than others. I feel her around me and know she is still in my life, even if she isn't alive anymore.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #39
(male)

Ngfan4lyfe HB User

Yes, I understand. I lost my father at a young age, it's very difficult. Going through life without your parent or parents, especially when you're young.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:05 PM   #40
(female)

Bernstar75 HB User

I was very young having lost both my parents by the time I was 18.

My mother died of brain cancer the day after my 5th birthday. My dad who was my best friend in the whole world died when I was just 18.

Not only is it difficult to lose your prarents anytime but its even more difficult to lose them when you are at a young age and when you are not financially independent. My sister was even younger than me when this happened, she was just 15.

Its emotionally difficult and financially it was very hard. The first couple of years were difficult as I was still studying but even once I was working it was still hard. I bought a house and car all by myself. I have to rely on myself for everything. I cannot take any chances in life as I have no security net. But I'm happy I've been able to achieve everything I have.

I'm now 30 and making a good living and am doing ok, but I still miss my dad so much. I dream about him all the time. As for my mother, I feel like I never knew her.

In all though we are pretty messed up. Neither I nor my sisters have ever had relationships, I think we are all very afraid to get close to others and take chances. I'm very much afraid of hospitals and doctors, I feel like people go in and never come out. I guess I have a lot of scars from all this even though on the outside everything looks ok. Nothing can ever replace the love and comfort of having a parent around.

I guess the most important thing I can take away is that particularly in my dads case, we spent a lot of quality time together. We travelled the world he gave me everything he could. Some people have their parents around and will never experience what I had.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #41
(female)

Nicki_07 HB User

I lost my mum when I was 3 to breast cancer. I'm petrified of losing my dad or my brother.
It seems strange to use the word 'lost', its like we've only misplaced something.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:11 AM   #42
(female)

Nicki_07 HB User

I guess I should count myself lucky compared to some people, it must be alot worse for those who got to know their parents and then to lose them.
I can't imagine what it must be like for Will Reeves (Superman's son), he lost his grandmother, his dad and his mum in the space of 18 months and he is only 13

Old 03-31-2006, 08:46 PM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I am now 48 and I was 11 when I lost my mom to cancer. Luckily I had a big sister (she was 22) and she and her husband raised me. and I must say, did an excellent job. It was very hard, but my sister and I talked a lot back then. Talking helps so much...we would talk and laugh about memories of my mom. then we
d cry a while...we had each other and learned to deal with it. Missed out on a lot of things my mom could have shared with me..the birth of my kids, my wedding....

Old 04-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #44
(female)

lnor1082 HB User

I'm 24 and lost my mum suddenly 2 months ago. Its hard to get used to. I still go to ring her on my lunchbreak at work and want to tell her things. I just keep thinking about all of the things she is never going to see. Like her only daughter getting married and holding her grandchildren and getting old with the love of her life. Her death has made me realise that she and I were just beginning to get close after I had pushed her away through my teenage years and now I can never have what other women have with their mothers. I always wanted it but i never felt i could talk to her until the past year or so. and now i can never have that.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #45
(male)

scotsboy HB User

im a 1* year old student, still in school at the moment in scotland,
i lost my dad whn i was 10 years old, he died on the 23rd of december 2***.
now tht im 1* years old , i still find it very hard 2 accept tht he is gone.
at times i feel tht my life is crap 2 be honest, and at times i have felt suicidal at one point. though i know thts not the answer.
i jst find life very difficult after losing my dad. i have received councelling and i know tht it helps, though i jst cnt move on bcos of wt has happened.
ive missed out a lot through my childhood and still have, ill never gt the chance 2 see him or grow up with him and tht hurts me so bad.
ive lost my faith in god, or even if there is one. people tell me tht there is a reason tht my dad had 2 go. i dont think so... my dad meant everything 2 me. and now i feel tht my life has fallen apart at a very young age,
. As u know im finding it very hard growing up at the moment and trying 2 accept the loss of my dad. please help. my life without a parent is soo difficult.
can any1 gt bk 2 me. i would really appreciate it. thx.
u can contact me on my email address which is: [email]REMOVED[/email].

Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-22-2006 at 08:58 AM. Reason: do not post your age under 17 - please follow the posting rules

Closed Thread