It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
(male)

NHBFAN HB User
grieving and physical illnesses - anyone experience this?

I lost my dad two weeks ago, and everyday since not only am I mourning his loss, I have a new physical symptoms almost everyday.

Nothing serious, but a laundry list of aliments, e.g., sore throats, gout, conjunctivitis, rashes, etc ... not to mention sleeplessness. I guess this is my body's way of dealing with stress. On top of my sadness is my concern of my job performance. What a rotten time.

Is this common?

Old 04-27-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
(male)

jason74 HB User
Re: grieving and physical illnesses - anyone experience this?

I'm sure that it is not uncommon. I had some physical symptoms when my wife died. It is an extremely horrific time to go through and your body as well as your mind are effected. My hair was falling out badly and I had some graying going on. Also, my stomach was messed up bad for a couple months. As far as job performance....I couldn't have worked two weeks later. I was off for three months and I used this time to grieve, grieve, grieve. I am so glad and fortunate I had that luxury of time to grieve properly. Lean on God and he will help.

I will pray for you
Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
(female)

Psimer HB User

I am falling into the same sort of thing. My mom died Easter Sunday. I don't sleep very well, I have the sniffles and I feel like crap. Apparently this isn't uncommon. My sisters are experiencing the same sort of things. Not really sick but not exactly well.

Someone told me it's the fall out from the stress. I believe them.

Sara

Old 04-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User

The same thing happened to me in the last few weeks before/after my mom passed away-I got a redness/rash-like under my eye-the same thing happened to me after I had I major surgery. My dr said it wasn't uncomman. I have used Elidel on it-it helped me alot. The stress from someones' passing and work don't mix well. Take care, Cherie

Old 04-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
(male)

marcusjj HB User

What you are experiencing is normal. Your body has been under extreme levels of stress for awhile and eventually things start to malfunction or break down such as your immune system. When I lost my Mom five years ago, I gained a substantial amount of weight.

I wouldn't worry about your job performance. Your employer should understand what you are going through. If not, find another job

Old 05-07-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
(female)

Wecanbtcancer HB User

Hi there,
I lost my Dad a month ago, he went suddenly and I am sick to my stomach every morning, I have a rash on my upper chest, and under my eyes are dry and cracked, I have lost about 20 pounds, so no I don't think it is uncommon I guess it is our bodies way of grieving...

Take care and God bless,
Liz

Old 06-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #7
(male)

NHBFAN HB User

Well it's going on 7 weeks since I lost my dad and the nagging illinesses have lessened, but my anxiety and sleeplessness have increased.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:46 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Morning all......My Dad passes 15 years ago. I was a picture of health. Shortly after i was dx with Epstein barr and started to get shingles frequently. I was only 38. five years later my 21 year old daughter passed away. In reading some amterial that was sent to me by a bereaved parents group I read that allergies are one of the ailments bereaved parents suffer from. I made sense to me because all of a sudden (before I read this) at 43 I aquired multiple food and respiratory allergies, insomnia, PTSD. 2 years later my best friend of 26 years passed suddenly, 6 months later my only sister committed suicide. One year later both of my dearly loved in-laws passed a week apart from each other. I was caretaker for 9 months. Since then I have ben dx with diabetes, HBP, asthma, fibro. I do believe the stress and losses in my life have caused all of this.

ICC

Old 06-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
(female)

Debbie1954 HB User

I can say from experience and because I am in healthcare, that stress plays havic with your body and mind. I ignored many of my symptoms until a caring physician friend intervened. I took care of some of the physical problems, but didn't address the emotional ones until I was forced to, again by caring co-workers. I've only begun the journey to address my multiple loses, but I can say that seeing a therapist has been helpful in moving down the path. I hope you will not wait to have your physician help you during this time - - it's not a weakness or a flaw, but a time in which you need to allow others to help you. My thoughts are with you. Debbie

Last edited by Debbie1954; 06-03-2007 at 08:39 AM.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

I also have been in therapy for years now off and on. it has saved me.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

HI I lost my husband 6 yrs ago..... and I had a headache everyday for months. and then some still lingered a year later. but they are gone now.Iknow that it was related to his death.. He died suddenly

Old 07-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

Reading this thread I am so sorry for everyones loss. It hasn't even been a week for me and I cant eat or sleep. I can barely sit still I am so yancy and do not want anyone near me. I come here because I can leave when I want to and as for work I have no idea when I will want to go back. I am devastated. My husband was bipolar and had rages and violence so we were separated but we both loved each other but I also carry guilt too. Times he needed me and I could not be there for him. I hurt so much.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #13
(female)

Jitterygal HB User

I lost my mother to cancer a month ago. My headaches and stomach problems continue, and I am still grieving tremendously. And the day before she died, I called my therapist to get a sleep aid because I knew I needed help. He gladly obliged, and ironically I only needed it the first few days afterward. Don't be afraid to get help. Just knowing that the sleep aid is there if I need it helps. Just do what ya gotta do to get through it. WE are all here for support Thank the Lord for this site...

Everybody take care,
Jitterygal

Old 07-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

im so sorry for everyone's loss, i too have lost my best friend of 10 years on jan, 28 of this year. She was always by my side and helped me thru many nights of fibro pain, always talking to me, comforting me, reminding me of how much love is in my world. I never knew she was sick, she never told me, i think she didnt want to worry me. She never let on to her pain. when she died suddenly, i felt like i too had died. my husband has helped me greatly thru all this and he's a very compassionate man who takes great care of me, but i miss my best friend so very much that its hard to breathe sometimes. All i have to do is think of her and the tears start flowing all over again. I tried to be strong for her family so i feel i didnt grieve properly or completely. The fibro has gotten much much worse since her death. I was numb for the first week, then the pain came on with full deadly force. I also feel extremely guilty because she was ill herself, yet never complained, never let me know, (sorry crying already), i miss her with all my heart i miss her. She was with me almost all the time, between her family and mine. She would sit for hours with me, watching tv and holding my hand. I havent felt well since then.

Closed Thread