It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
(male)

Kenyth HB User
Story of a small child has me really down.

I don't even know what to make of my reaction to this. I was following closely a story of Johnny Bodnar. He was a little two and a half year old boy with Leukemia. I looked at all his pictures, watched video clips, and read up on the boy and his family. He was really a precious little boy. Cute, with an adorable personality. From what I could see, his family loved him dearly.

He had a bone marrow stem cell transplant. After the transplant, he seemed to be doing OK from the updates. Then nothing was posted for a while. I lost track for a little bit. The next time I checked, I found out he died. I'm guessing he got a viral infection during the dangerous time when the immune system is trying to regenerate.

I was crushed! I had really wanted him to get better and expected it. I even had to hide out in the bathroom to cry for a little bit. It's been a week and though I feel better, I still get choked up and feel compelled to look at his pictures. It's almost like I'm afraid I'll forget about him.

I understand being touched by the tragedy of the story and being sad, but is this strong of a reaction normal? I have a son about two years old that I love dearly. Could this be altering my reaction? I seem to be very sensitive to stories involving children.

A few links:

[url] http://www.cotaforjohnnyb.com/ [/url]

[url] http://www.bryantmcgill.com/forum/index.php/topic,4202.0.html [/url]

[url] http://cbs4.com/video/?id=35049@wfor.dayport.com [/url]

[url] http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_175132221.html [/url]

Last edited by Kenyth; 07-02-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Forgot links.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
(female)

Psimer HB User
Re: Story of a small child has me really down.

Our local teaching hospital, Medical University of South Carolina, has some of the best oncology for children in the US. We have families that stay at the Ronald McDonald House while their children are being treated. At least once a month the newspaper runs a letter to the Editor thanking all of the people who treated their child and that the child has passed away.

It is very sad when a child dies.

Sara

Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
(male)

Kenyth HB User
Re: Story of a small child has me really down.

The Doctors and nurses who treat very sick children must be made of strong stuff to deal with the tragedy so closely. When an adult dies, it's sad, but at least you know they had a chance to live and understand what's happening to them. Seeing little children pass away regularly has to be emotionally crippling. I don't see how they do it.

Johnny was so close to getting better. I don't even really know what complications exactly happened to the poor baby and probably never will. It just kills me though. I love little kids and it's very easy for me to become attached. I really wish he had gotten better and that there had been a happy ending to this story.

At least it makes me think about my kids and treasure them even more.

Closed Thread