It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

patty777 HB User
Unhappy Lost 2 friends, lots of media coverage

Hi there,

Last Friday two friends were killed in a helicopter crash. I find myself in a fog every since. Can't sleep and have no appetite at all. Crying spells, I imagine you can relate.

What is making this difficult is the crash was filmed. I work in the news business as did my two friends (they were in a news helicopter). It's hard enough to deal with loss but to have the last seconds filmed, it just really makes it insufferable. I feel how the people who had family/friend in the buildings during 9/11 must have felt....you can't believe you know someone in that building/helicopter that was destroyed. It feels very surreal.

And, this isn't fair, but I feel angry at people who say "they are in heaven". I KNOW they mean well but I just don't feel like hearing that right now.

I just want to feel angry, upset and overwhelmed without hearing that "God needed another angel". It feels belittling, as though we don't have a right to be upset.

I don't know. I find myself snapping at people. Tough stuff. Thanks so very much for letting me vent today.

Patty

Last edited by patty777; 07-29-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
Re: Lost 2 friends, lots of media coverage

Hello Patty,
I am in the news business myself and I do understand how you feel. Bad news isn't always about others....
It is similar to being a policeman and being called to the scene of an accident only to find a friend in the crash. It is truly shocking and awful and you have every right to want to scream and yell. Just get on with venting your feelings and never mind the others. Only remember that time will take the heat off your pain and it will become more manageable. What else can I say?
God bless you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
(female)

Psimer HB User

You are feeling exactly the way you should be feeling right now. I was not far from 9/11 when it happened. I watched the towers crash. I do not watch any of the video any more and I stopped watching after the first day. I went through Hurricane Hugo in 1989. I don't watch the video's and I don't look at the pictures either.

There is trauma involved with loosing a friend in a tragic accident. There is anger, there is frustration. And there is that unknowing "Why?" And there are no answers.

You have to go through all of the steps. You have to cry. You have to grieve. And then you will start to heal. It doesn't mean that things will ever be the same for you. But every time you cry now, it's one less time you have to cry in the future.

Sara

Old 07-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
(female)

Bemm4 HB User

Hi Patty,

I live in the same state as the helicopter crash that took the 4 young men lives this past Friday. The one station I watch everyday so it was gut wrenching watching the whole horrible coverage. My heart goes out to you since you work with these fine men. I can not imagine what you must be going through right now. As a viewer it is very upsetting to watch. I hope you do eventually find some peace. It will take you awhile and that is okay.

Bemm

Old 07-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
(female)

patty777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaliak View Post
Hello Patty,
I am in the news business myself and I do understand how you feel. Bad news isn't always about others....
It is similar to being a policeman and being called to the scene of an accident only to find a friend in the crash. It is truly shocking and awful and you have every right to want to scream and yell. Just get on with venting your feelings and never mind the others. Only remember that time will take the heat off your pain and it will become more manageable. What else can I say?
God bless you
That's a great analogy(the police officer one). Bingo, it's how I feel....just shocked and repulsed by the whole thing and no where to direct those feelings.

Thanks for your words here. Means a lot, especially since you know how insane the news biz is.

God bless you too.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
(female)

patty777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psimer View Post
You are feeling exactly the way you should be feeling right now. I was not far from 9/11 when it happened. I watched the towers crash. I do not watch any of the video any more and I stopped watching after the first day. I went through Hurricane Hugo in 1989. I don't watch the video's and I don't look at the pictures either.

There is trauma involved with loosing a friend in a tragic accident. There is anger, there is frustration. And there is that unknowing "Why?" And there are no answers.

You have to go through all of the steps. You have to cry. You have to grieve. And then you will start to heal. It doesn't mean that things will ever be the same for you. But every time you cry now, it's one less time you have to cry in the future.

Sara
You have been through so much, Sara. I've already decided to stop watching pictures and, especially, audio of the crash. It was just destroying me to see it.

And thank you so much for your encouragement. Means a lot right now.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
(female)

patty777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemm4 View Post
Hi Patty,

I live in the same state as the helicopter crash that took the 4 young men lives this past Friday. The one station I watch everyday so it was gut wrenching watching the whole horrible coverage. My heart goes out to you since you work with these fine men. I can not imagine what you must be going through right now. As a viewer it is very upsetting to watch. I hope you do eventually find some peace. It will take you awhile and that is okay.

Bemm
Hi Bemm,

Thank you so much. It's now Sunday night and I'm just dreading going to work tomorrow. Seeing how this has affected the community, too, though is very comforting. I'm certainly not happy that it was difficult for you or anyone else but it does make me feel far less alone. Rick and Craig were good men and their deaths should not be in vain.

It irritates me every time I see the suspect on the tv. A career criminal is alive while these four men are being buried this week. Just sickening.

Anyway, thanks again, Bemm. Peace to you.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
(female)

Bemm4 HB User

Hi Patty,

I was wondering how work was today? I hope it was gentle on you and everyone at the station. I was watching the other channel this morning on channel 14 (they repeat it) and they had a nice tribute to the 4 guys. They had a picture of Craig with his dog Molly. You could see in that picture how much he loved that dog. In all of the pictures you can tell each and everyone of them loved what they did. Rest in Peace Craig, Rick, Scott and Jim. They will be truly missed.

Bemm

Closed Thread