It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
(female)

Donnakarin62 HB User
Falling apart one year after loss of son

My son died last December. He was in a car accident at age 17, and left in a coma for 2 1/2 years until he died.. I have been strong; we have lots of support. I have thrown myself into many of my interests, and seem to have kept myself going and going for the past year - until this week. I have been unable to get out of bed... all I want to do is sleep. The funny thing is - this is the very first time he came into one of my dreams, and I could remember his voice. I feel like I'm losing it though, and scared... Anyone have any suggestions on how to move through this? I can't afford couseling anymore ( did this briefly last winter ) Sometimes I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User
Re: Falling apart one year after loss of son

First of all, I am so sorry for your pain. Please know that you have my deepest sympathies for the tragedy of losing your son.

I believe there are support groups specifically designed for parents who lose children. Perhaps talking with others who have experienced this type of grief would be a good outlet for you. You could try doing an Internet search or call a hospital that specializes in children's illnesses. They probably could at least give you a national number and then you could look for groups in your area.

Just a thought. It sounds like you are having a delayed reaction the pain of your son's accident, the 2 1/2 years he was in the coma, and then finally, his death.

Good luck and keep posting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
(female)

faye59 HB User

i do feel for you as i lost my eldest daughter 11 months ago. she to had been in a bad accident but was on her way to recovery but died not because of the accident. i feel sad and scared to and sometimes wonder if i can go on. but you know we just do go on. i have bad days and good days. you have to allow yourself that. try your local phone book in the front usually a grief place you can ring. thinking of you

Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I am so sorry for all of your losses. I cannot imagine losing a child and I pray for all of you to get through your grief. I lost my husband 1 year ago Nov. 13 to cancer. He was 59. I thought I was doing well, but this past month has been very difficult. I cry about everything and I'm having anxiety and anger. I miss him very much but am angry with him that he died. I know that's silly and I'm sure this will pass. The Holiday Season is the worst

Old 11-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User

Dear Rudiraven,

I think that part of it, too, is the year anniversary of all of the days leading up to the day he died. My sister was killed in an accident on November 24 (the day after Thanksgiving) and I am finding this month impossible. Everything reminds me of last year and how innocent we were, not knowing it was the last birthday celebration, or the last Thanksgiving.

I think it's natural to be angry, too. He was young and you had years together left unfinished.

Please know that I am thinking of you.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
(female)

faye59 HB User

donnakarins i think the first year to get through this must be the worse as my daughters is on the 9/ dec and i have been gradually going into a bad depression i keep thinking back to this time last year. thank god we cant fore see the future. i will be thinking about you. i feel your pain to faye 59

Old 11-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Langlee,

You were right....it was the anticipation of the 1 year anniversary date that had me so depressed and angry. I feel like I've come out of the dark tunnel and there is light again . The day before his "death date" was the worst. I spent part of the day at the cemetary, crying, and the rest of the time just laying around. (Thank God it was a holiday for me). I asked my husband to let me know he was ok before I went to sleep that night and awoke the next morning feeling at peace and have been doing well since then. Thank you for answering my post and I wish everyone peace and acceptance. Life can be so difficult and I'm so glad that we can be here for one another. God Bless and have a Blessed Holiday Season.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

langlee HB User

I'm so glad you are feeling better, Rudiraven! How wonderful for you that you could ask for a sign and woke up feeling peaceful!

I hope this holdiay season is filled with magical moments for all.

Langlee

Closed Thread