It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

sweetanna58 HB User
c-section problem

My daughter gave birth by c-section, unfortunately her bowel was damaged as result of it. Over the next 9 days she laid in the hospital very sick and slowly leaking feces and acid into her body. This was never detected. Finally she was transferred to another hospital; she was septic, in renal failure, and with heart and respiratory problems. Her baby was discharged and went home with her dad and step mom, they raised him for the next month. Within hours of arriving at the other hospital she ruptured out her c- section. She had emergency surgery, 6 inches of large bowel were removed and she was cleaned out. When the doctor came out to talk to us he informed us that she was in very critical condition and they were not sure she was going to make it. He said the feces were leaking inside of her for days. Her stomach was left opened so she could be taken back to the OR every other day to have her abdomen cavity washed out and her c section was left opened after it was cleaned out and was going to have to heal from the inside out. (The section took 2 months to heal and the packing had to be changed daily). He also informed us he had to put her in an induced coma and on a respirator. That night things went terribly wrong and the staff didnʼt think she was going to make it, so they called in a priest and last rites were given. On her second trip to the OR she had another 22 inches of small intestine removed and an iliostomy was done. On her tenth day she was finally taken out of the coma. On her fifteenth day she came off the respirator and her stomach was finally closed. Through all this time 3 drains had to be put in due to abcesses and a lung drain. No parent should see their child go through the pain she had to endure. After 20 days in intensive care she was put on the step down unit. After another 10 days there she was able to come home to her baby boy. The whole happy home coming only lasted 13 days she was readmitted to the hospital with multiple blood clots in both lungs. While she was there another abscess was detected and another drain had to be put in. This hospital stay was 3 weeks. This all started Sept 9th, we are now in the end of Nov and she is home in time for Thanksgiving and she is finally able to start bonding with her son. She still has surgeries ahead of her, she has to live with this iliostomy bag, and she canʼt have anymore children, and her changes in body image and self image continue to be an ongoing problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

candice12 HB User
Re: c-section problem

Sweetanna, I am so sorry you and your daughter had to go through this. I just can't imagine. You go in to have a fairly "normal" procedure that is done daily to thousands of women and you don't hear too many of these "scare" stories but this def makes people want to think twice about C Sections... some people OPT to have this done, or OPT out of having a version to turn their babies, this is something that seems to be a lot more serious than it seems! This angers me in such a way that I just can't believe that that happened. I thought they take 100% precaution when doing that type of procedure. But I guess there is always that chance.

I am so glad she is home, I hate that she has to live with a iliostomy Bag, but at the same time she survived for her Son, so that seems a small price to pay, but I feel for her. Is she able to walk and get around? I sure hope so!! You are all in my prayers and I hope her future surgeries go well.

Closed Thread