It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

Catdog123 HB User
MY dad died Sunday night

MY parents were vacationing in the Bahamas and my dad had a heart attack and died Sunday night. I found out yesterday morning, and I was disoriented and I cried yesterday, but today I don't feel anything. I want to eat and I want to watch the stupidest TV. I haven't seen my mom yet or any of my family, everyone is overseas, my mom should be back tomorrow. I don't feel NORMAL, I feel a weird feeling in my chest, but I am absolutely emotionless. I feel very strange when people call or try to cheer me up, they expect me to be hysterical and I'm not.
I love my dad. We weren't incredibly close but as an adult, I feel we were on the road to forming a closer relationship. Is it possible I just don't care? Am I not normal on some emotional level? I know about numbness and shock but I feel that I just am not capable of grief? Has anyone ever felt something similar?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: MY dad died Sunday night

Please don't knock yourself out because it just hasn't sunk in yet.You will feel empathy for your lost one in due time. Love ya Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Catdog, you are in shock.

Take all the time you need, to go through whatever feelings, or lack of feelings you need to. This is probably a mechanism your body is using to help you manage though these first few days. A natural defense against falling apart...which would not help.

Grief is a process
I am sorry for your families loss.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User

I agree with writeleft that you are in shock. It will take a little while for your your body to physically adjust, then the emotional adjustment comes. When my husband died, I didnt even want to tell anyone. I remember the people at the hospital looking at me like I was the most heartless person in the world, and I felt at the time like there was something wrong with me. I felt like what I should want would be for my loved ones to be around me. But instead, I refused to call anyone. And I didnt cry. I just sat there. I of course HAD to tell everyone, but I waited for some reason until later that evening. And then for a couple of days I just sat there and watched cartoons. I dont even remember who took my kids. So I think what you are going through is perfectly normal. Like writeleft said, give yourself some time for it to sink in. Hope that helps a little.
Melissa

Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

Catdog123 HB User

Thank you guys for your responses, it helps a lot knowing that I'm not some kind of freak. I haven't cried at all today or hardly thought about it. It's like I just can't think about it. My family still isn't back, and I'm by myself, which is actually ok. MY mom hasn't been in much contact with me, and maybe that's why it hasn't hit me at all. Thank you guys again, it really is good knowing people understand.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Anytime...

Old 03-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
(male)

steve1906 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdog123 View Post
MY parents were vacationing in the Bahamas and my dad had a heart attack and died Sunday night. I found out yesterday morning, and I was disoriented and I cried yesterday, but today I don't feel anything. I want to eat and I want to watch the stupidest TV. I haven't seen my mom yet or any of my family, everyone is overseas, my mom should be back tomorrow. I don't feel NORMAL, I feel a weird feeling in my chest, but I am absolutely emotionless. I feel very strange when people call or try to cheer me up, they expect me to be hysterical and I'm not.
I love my dad. We weren't incredibly close but as an adult, I feel we were on the road to forming a closer relationship. Is it possible I just don't care? Am I not normal on some emotional level? I know about numbness and shock but I feel that I just am not capable of grief? Has anyone ever felt something similar?
Hi Catdog, Yes you are normal. Your by yourself and thats one of the reason you feel this. When your family returns I'm sure things will feel different to you.

I'm so sorry for your loss!!!

Take care of yourself,
Roy

Old 03-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
(female)

grandma2o2girls HB User

Let us know how you are doing.

Take care and god bless.

Darlene

Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
(female)

Pittsburgh_Flye HB UserPittsburgh_Flye HB User

I find that "out of sight, out of mind" holds a lot of truth. I too have wondered how emotionally normal I am, as I've suffered 2 major losses in under 2.5 years and for the most part I consider myself pretty "high functioning" through it all.

I chose to be alone and I've been dragging my feet on telling people the news. I am mourning the loss of 2 of the most important people in my life and sometimes I don't feel anything. Just, empty. Like it never even happened and they're just away for the weekend. Sometimes I fear I'm living in too great of denial and one day I'll just crash.

Everyone deals with death differently and I'm not so sure I agree with all the stages of grief - I'm quite certain in my case I skipped many a step in the process but I own my feelings and grief and I guess at the end of the day I'll get thru it in my own way, as will you.

I've decided to stop wondering what's "normal" and just feel what I'm feeling and trust and hope that I'll get thru it, someday, feeling my kinda normal again.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
(male)

steve1906 HB User
Thumbs up Re: MY dad died Sunday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh_Flye View Post
I find that "out of sight, out of mind" holds a lot of truth. I too have wondered how emotionally normal I am, as I've suffered 2 major losses in under 2.5 years and for the most part I consider myself pretty "high functioning" through it all.

I chose to be alone and I've been dragging my feet on telling people the news. I am mourning the loss of 2 of the most important people in my life and sometimes I don't feel anything. Just, empty. Like it never even happened and they're just away for the weekend. Sometimes I fear I'm living in too great of denial and one day I'll just crash.

Everyone deals with death differently and I'm not so sure I agree with all the stages of grief - I'm quite certain in my case I skipped many a step in the process but I own my feelings and grief and I guess at the end of the day I'll get thru it in my own way, as will you.

I've decided to stop wondering what's "normal" and just feel what I'm feeling and trust and hope that I'll get thru it, someday, feeling my kinda normal again.

Good luck to you.
Nicely said, I agree with your feelings...Everyone is different!

Roy

Closed Thread