It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

sussyqueed2 HB User
I lost my son and am devastated

Hello,
Just this morning while driving home from a short shopping trip, I started to cry. Iím not sure what it was that I saw or remembered that brought the tears. Maybe just the fact that it was Saturday and I thought about the many times my son, daughter-in-law and grandson would go out shopping or to breakfast. Whatever it was, the tears were uncontrollable and the hurt in my gut was gripping.
It has been almost 6 weeks now since my oldest child, 37 year old son Joshua, died of a sudden and unexpected massive heart attack. For the last 10 or so years, he and his wife and child have lived just 2 doors down from me so I saw them often and was very close to my son. Joshua was the most kind hearted person and was always there to help. Because I am disabled and have a difficult time walking any distance, he helped with out complaint if I needed the trash taken out or and errand run. Joshua was a big man with a big smile and a big bear hug.
The night that he died, I heard the sirens coming up the street and always, when you hear something like that, you hope that it isnít for a neighbor or friend. But they stopped and as I left the house as quickly as I could to check on things, there they were, the fire trucks and ambulances in front of my sonís house. The house was filled with chaos and my daughter-in-law and grandson were on separate ends of the couch wailing. I grabbed my grandson and asked him to pray with me. No amount of prayer that night could fix what had just happened. Joshua, my first born, the kindest, sweetest most loving man Iíve ever known was dead.
I remember bits and pieces about the rest of that night but not all. I know that family and friends quickly showed up at the house while the EMTs were there and I remember someone covering me with a blanket. The paramedics had asked us to go outside of the house. It must have been cold. In fact, all that I can remember about the first week and a half is crying and family bickering. But, my son was gone. There was no band aid, no pill, so magic that could bring Joshua back.
It has been about 6 weeks now since that horrible night. My daughter-in-law packed up, abandoned their home and left the state with my grandson in tow. I weep for the loss of my son every day. I weep for the loss of being able to see my grandson almost every day. I weep because this is far beyond the worse nightmare I could ever have and nothing that I do can change the fact that heís gone. I miss him terribly.
I still have trouble looking at photos of him. I canít listen to music. I donít want to go anywhere unless I absolutely have to and I donít want to talk to anyone except a select few. I have no appreciation right now for the springtime. No one could possibly imagine the pain of loosing their child unless theyíve been through it. Never in my right mind did I think that I would loose one of my children. Itís not supposed to happen that way. Parents go first, not children. He was only 37. He was loved by dozens of friends and all of his family and especially by me.
Yes, I am in therapy which helps a bit but it doesnít fill the hole that has been left in my heart. Reason tells me that things will get better with time. Reason tells me that I am not alone in this. Right now I feel drained and would rather sleep the day away, forgo my morning shower or sit in a corner with numbness at my side. Reason isnít working very well.
Like I said, I am devastated over this and don't know if I will ever get over it.
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: I lost my son and am devastated

I am so sorry Sue. My son is the same age, married with a son, I know I would be in the same place you are if anything happened to him or his family. My heart goes out to you as well as my prayers. Keep praying.........

Sunny

Old 04-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
(female)

sussyqueed2 HB User

Thank you Sunny,
Since Joshua's body was cremated and his wife has the ashes, there is no burial site. So I am building a memorial garden in my back yard in his honor. In fact, we started this garden last year with some paving stones for the border and Joshua said that the shape we'd made looed like a gravestone. I said it looked like a church. Isn't it odd that a year later, the garden is actually being fininshed in his honor. I bought a cement bench so I, or anyone else, can sit and think about him or anything else.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

I can truly imagine how hard this is for you...My sister lost her 20 year old son last august in a 4 wheel accident...My sister and i are very close...so i see the sorrow she is going through.....It is a very hard long journey...a journey no one wants to go through...Truly if it was not for the Lord i don't know how a person would get through something like this.....Everyone grieves in their own way...my sister and family did go through grief counseling....she thought that helped some...Now they are trying to pick out a gravestone and it is so very hard... Life can be very, very hard but know that if you believe in Jesus there is something much better to come... I will pray for you Diane

Closed Thread