It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
(female)

cetiya HB User
i've been crying all day for someone who died 68 years ago

i always knew my mom had a cousin who died in the war, (WW2) but it was a long ago thing and i never really thought much about it. my parents are both dead now, and last month my brother died too, and a lot of his belongings are being shipped to me. i came across the letters my moms cousin wrote to her while he was in the marines, 1943 and 1944. he became a real person to me while reading the letters. he died in 1945 at Iwo Jima. she had a letter written to her less than a month before he died. it was creepy and heartbreaking to read these letters knowing he was soon to be dead. i dont really know why i'm so sad but i just cant shake this. its hard enough that my entire family is dead and i'm alone. i googled him and came across a marine site and they asked me for copies of the letters so they can include them under his profile. i wonder if there is anyone alive that still cares about him or am i the only one....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: i've been crying all day for someone who died 68 years ago

Your post is several months old, sorry no one has responded to you.
It is never too late to grieve. Even if you were the only one alive who cares about him or remembers him, that will be enough. He was very courageous to so generously serve our country.

blessings to you, Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
(female)

cetiya HB User

thanks for writing, i'm still grieving for this 21 year old brave man.

The following user gives a hug of support to cetiya:
slenderella (04-01-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
(female)

Augustusine HB UserAugustusine HB User

Cetiya I think he may have unlocked memories for you and if it helps, pour out your grief. It is sad and none of us know when we will go but he deserves to be remembered doesn't he.?

Last edited by Augustusine; 04-02-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: typo

Old 04-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
(female)

cetiya HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustusine View Post
Cetiya I think he may have unlocked memories for you and if it helps, pour out your grief. It is sad and none of us know when we will go but he deserves to be remembered doesn't he.?
that makes sense, maybe thats part of it. i tried to reread his letters, but i couldnt stop crying. i wish i had talked to my mom about it when i had the chance, but i hadnt read the letters until everybody died, now i have noone to talk to about him, everyone in his life is probably dead too, its been so long ago.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
(female)

cetiya HB User

i know this is years later, but i actually found Jacks neice. she had researched him for 8 years but i was able to give her something noone else in the world ever could. i sent her 4 original letters. it makes me happy to have found someone else who is alive that cares about jack. she had no belongings or letters from anyone else in her family, no one ever saved anything. yay for the internet. I speak your name Jack Fossum! you'll never be forgotten, thanks to the letters my mom saved.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

wow this is fantastic news! Not only are you preserving history, you are bringing joy to someone else in the process! Good for you! Hopefully this will help you with your grief. You've followed this through to a wonderful conclusion. Jack Fossum would be very proud!

Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

cetiya,on the crying jag, are you still having trouble? It was the timing of everything. The losses mounted up and you had no control over the stress. And most jobs do not like it when you have to take more than three days off. You have to do what you have to do. Some people never understand till it happens to them. Otherwise, did you go to grief counseling? I hope so. Not everybody has to, but it can be a godsend for those who are having a rough time of it. And grief can last a long time, but with help, you can move on. I hope you are doing better and glad you found a relation through all of this. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Closed Thread