It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Unhappy Lost my favorite client on Good Friday

I have been a home health aide for 21 years and just lost my favorite client on Good Friday. She had uterine cancer for two years. I have never seen a cancer patient suffer in so much pain and have happen the things that happened to her before she died. Even her hospice nurse was crying the Monday right before she died because she felt so bad for my client and all that she was having to endure. The nurse said we treat animals better than we do humans because we put animals to sleep before they get to the point of suffering like my client was.
I can't express how I am really feeling about this at work because my supervisors will just say that's because I am going over the professional boundary lines yet again. They want me to function like a robot and not have any feelings once I leave the client's home. Toss my feelings in the garbage can like I do my gloves as I walk out the door.
I am a born again Christian and feel there was a reason this client was put in my life when she was by God. We had a lot in common and became very attached to one another. She allowed me to pray with her and for her and read scripture to her the last two weeks of her life. I felt very honored and privileged to do this for her and be able to care for her in the last 4 months of her life. She never became mean or bitter during all of this and was always appreciative of the care she received from me to the nurses or anyone else involved in caring for her.
I am missing her so very much and have to try to keep it together at work so my supervisors don't know how I am really feeling.

The following user gives a hug of support to flipfleury:
slenderella (04-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Lost my favorite client on Good Friday

I am so sorry for your loss. I can understand it being hard to be expected, in the work world, to distance yourselves emotionally from your patients, but your loving heart cannot. When my Dad died last August, I want you to know that both of the nurses who cared for him cried. I would not WANT a healthcare worker to be so cold and callous that if I died they wouldn't give it a moment's thought.
God created in you a kind heart that obviously wants to help others. Please don't let anyone convince you that you should act in any way different from the wonderful way God made you.
I hope that through praying for this woman and sharing Scripture, that when the Lord calls you to Eternity, you will see her again.
hugs, Sue

Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderella View Post
I am so sorry for your loss. I can understand it being hard to be expected, in the work world, to distance yourselves emotionally from your patients, but your loving heart cannot. When my Dad died last August, I want you to know that both of the nurses who cared for him cried. I would not WANT a healthcare worker to be so cold and callous that if I died they wouldn't give it a moment's thought.
God created in you a kind heart that obviously wants to help others. Please don't let anyone convince you that you should act in any way different from the wonderful way God made you.
I hope that through praying for this woman and sharing Scripture, that when the Lord calls you to Eternity, you will see her again.
hugs, Sue
Thank you so much for your kind words of support and encouragement ! I know in my heart and soul that I will see my client again in heaven someday.
I am very blessed to have a loving and supportive brothers and sisters in the Lord to help me get through this and to continue to encourage me not to change the way I feel and care for my clients. I know from what my client expressed to me that she was appreciative of my caring for her and she even told me she felt safe when I was there with her. I know that despite what my boss says ultimately it's the Lord that I am aiming to please !

The following user gives a hug of support to flipfleury:
slenderella (04-15-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
(female)

renko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB Userrenko HB User

I'm so glad you shared your heart and feelings. I know that you will see her again with the Lord without pain and suffering. Death is our last enemy as a Christian or non-believer but He is there and will never leave us nor forsake us. My mom was an RN and told me that I couldn't be a nurse because I was too tenderhearted and sensitive to people and yet I realized later that some people don't have that gift of love and compassion. I love going to the elderly and tell them that I love them and Jesus loves them. It makes them happy and also gives me pleasure to reach out to them when many are never touched or loved. God bless you and keep using your gift for the Lord and to bring comfort and love to those who need your comfort and prayers.

Closed Thread