It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
(female)

NewVeggie HB User
Unhappy Coworker of...

Hi all,
I so appreciate this board being here. I work for a smallish, close-knit non-profit and one of my coworkers experienced a life-changing tragedy this past Tuesday. Her three girls were murdered by her ex-husband (with which she had joint custody with) in the home they once shared while she was here at work. This is my first day back because I couldn't concentrate and it just didn't seem right to be working in a space where someone you know and care about got such horrible news. I am back working today, and am finding it tough to ignore the guilt I feel for focusing on work. Every I walk past her cube, I see pictures of those three innocent souls that were gone too soon (and I had the pleasure of meeting more than once). It also doesn't help that I've also met the perpetrator

I am also feeling self-conscious for not being able to concentrate too well when others around me are working normally. I know that people process their grief differently and I'm trying to remember that, but it is just so hard.

Thanks for listening,
NewVeggie

Old 07-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Coworker of...

This kind of horrific tragedy so close to you is bound to throw you off track, especially at work where your friend is. I would suggest, since this is a small group, to meet together and discuss your feelings and come up with a game plan on how to approach and support your friend when she returns to work. It is important for everyone to acknowledge this and work through their own feelings, while being able to be supportive to your friend. Perhaps a grief counselor (many work through churches) could come and talk to everyone, and your friend will need some ongoing grief/trauma counselling. Hopefully, you have health insurance that covers counseling for anyone who needs it.
I would google grief counsellors for your area and check out your options. Perhaps some flowers and a card signed by everyone would be a good way to break the ice on acknowledgement and let your friend know you are thinking of her in this tragic situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

NewVeggie HB User
Re: Coworker of...

Thank you so much for your thoughts, ladybug. While I was gone yesterday, the agency came up with such a plan. I am so thankful! There was a grief counselor here yesterday...and as I was typing this I just heard that they will be here again today. I plan on speaking with them.

Closed Thread