It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Grief & Loss Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

karmil1 HB User
please help

I need help. I am so distraught. My mother who was my world died last Tuesday 7-10-12 after receiving another neulasta shot. Let me back up and explain. My mother was diagnosed on 2-5-12 with stage 4 lung cancer. We didn't start treatments until 3-29-12 which she had a severe reaction to and died. They brought her back and started a new chemo a week later. She was on carboplatin and alimta. She did great on the chemo days. Everytime she got the shot she was horrible for about a week. She had done 5 chemo's (1 every 3 weeks). On July 5th we went in for her normal chemo and they found that she needed a transfusion because she was low. They went ahead and did the chemo and sent her to the hospital to get a transfusion. Well we forgot to go early on friday to get her neulasta so they called and told her to come in on Monday (they are only open a few hours on Friday and we usually did the chemo on weds and shot on thurs). Anyway she felt excellent all weekend and was moving around fine. I even told her if she gets the shot it may make her feel bad. She said then we would know that the shot was the cause. We went in on Monday she felt great and she got the shot and we went to walmart. She walked around and was doing good. Forgot to mention that the cancer had shrunk after the 3rd chemo. We came home and I left later that evening. Mom called me at 10 that night and said she was going to go to bed that she was tired. She got up that morning and dad said she was dizzy so he told her to go sit down. He brought her coffee and sat down next to her on the couch. Next thing he heard was this horrible sound and she was gone. He did cpr called me and said she was dying I flew over there and started cpr. It was too late she was gone. Less than 24 hours after this shot she was dead. When we had the bloodwork on Thursday she was high on WBC. I didn't realize this until I looked through the paperwork. Doesn't it seem crazy to give her a shot to boost her WBC when they are already HIGH? Somebody help me PLEASE!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: please help

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

I'm sorry your mom passed. One of the things that is similar to my mom's recent passing is the fact that she was dizzy as well. The day before she complained of being dizzy. She had episodes of that so we didn't give it much thought.

I'm hearing from your plea for help that you think your mom's medical treatment was a direct cause of her passing. For me, I wanted an autopsy because there was so much that I needed to know about past medical issues and how it led up to my mom's death. I'll always have unanswered questions. To try and figure out what happened is futile.

The only thing that helps is knowing that my mom passed peacefully. I've seen other family members go in so much pain and agony that I was thankful. Your mom went peacefully. I pray that you can take comfort in that.

My brother-in-law died from lung cancer. It metastasized to his brain. Lung cancer is evil and it doesn't go away. He was in severe pain toward the end. My brother had esophogal cancer that mets to his lungs. It's hard to be any kind of thankful when a loved one passes, but going peacefully is huge when compared to what I saw otherwise.

Last edited by sawbuck44; 08-29-2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: added info about my brother and bil

Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I also send my sincere condolences. Losing your mother is something none of us are every ready for. I lost my mother to a freak accident, and then my father died of a broken heart 30 days later.

To think your mother had fought so courageously against the cancer and had progressed with the treatment must make it all the harder. To think all the trust we put into the medical community, and then to have it fail you is simply heartbreaking. Only when looking back can we see the obvious.

My mother died after 23 days of agony. Not to mention the agony of seeing her every day, which was enough for my father to loose it three days after she died. He had never imagined she would not make it, and once it sunk in, we lost him too. He went into a delirious state, stopped eating and simply died exactly 30 days later. All I got out of it was the purity of their love for each other. It was a love story that lasted to death do us part. All I can take from all this is that it was their time. It was not about me, or any of us.

Perhaps your mother was spared from pain and suffering. I hope so. Not to say that she did not suffer with all the treatments she had already, but maybe the future for her would have been worse. I don't know, and I do not want to upset you further, it just seems like we have to imagine the bigger plan.

I hope this brings some comfort to you. All of us who have lost our mothers, our fathers, any loved ones, we are all connected in our grief and losses. I believe getting our feelings out is so important, and is so helpful. Please share more about your dear mother if you would like. WE are here to help.

Janet

Reply Reply