It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2004, 10:59 AM   #1

align HB User
acne & hair loss

I am almost 40. I began to have breakout on my face again and again for the past 2 years. I never had acne before in my life, not even when I was a teenage. I don't know why.
I am also losing my hair now, i can see hairs everywhere in my house. My scalpe is so clear on top of my head. is there anyway to cure this? I used to have very thick hair.
Thanks

Old 09-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
Inactive

Cali... HB User
Re: acne & hair loss

I am the same way too. I'm 39 and my hair has been falling out since I had my child 6 years ago. I still have thick hair but not as much as I use to. I do notice that I have new hair growth though. Have you tried the Rogaine for women?

The pimples come and go as well. I do get them often too. Its probably all hormonal. I have been using Proactiv and that helps.

Good luck.

Last edited by Cali...; 09-26-2004 at 11:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 07:49 AM   #3

SpeisFamily HB User
Lightbulb Re: acne & hair loss

Both of these symptoms are usually a result of high amounts of testosterone. There are many disorders that can cause this. I recently found out that my unpleasant symptoms: hair loss, acne, no periods, and longer hairs than I would care for above my lip which I now have the need to wax, yuck and I am only 27. Are all the result of a pituitary tumor. The pituitary gland is located on the bottom of the brain and controls almost all the hormones in your body. The adrenal gland also controls the testosterone in your body as does your ovaries. The most common cause is polycystic ovaries (PCOS). I would suggest talking to your Dr about having some blood work done, seeing a GYN and seeing an Endocranologist about the hormone imbalance. To find a pituitary tumor they have to do an MRI with and without contrast. Please keep us posted on what you Dr says and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Christina

Last edited by SpeisFamily; 09-27-2004 at 07:59 AM.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #4

align HB User

You're right, probably hormone inbalance. I need to ask Dr about this. I want to cure the root of the problem. Looks like it happens when you reach certain age (or older).

Old 09-27-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

I agree with the other posters. My mom has a similar thing going on and her dermo is giving her shots in her head to stop the hairloss (not that painful she says ) because her hormones checked out normal.
Speisfamily, what kind of pit tumor do you have? Mine seems to be secreting acth.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:39 PM   #6

SpeisFamily HB User
Lightbulb Re: acne & hair loss

I just found out recently but I believe mine is also ACTH. What a trip, I can't seem to find anyone that has this type of tumor.{removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 09-27-2004 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Please read board guidelines. Links are not allowed

Old 09-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

{Removed} I'd love to talk to you! I just had petrosal sinus sampling last week and get the results soon! By the way, if you need that test it is a breeze. I was scared out of my mind before I had it!!! But they gave me a sedative and I don't remember a thing. Well if you can post later I'd love to chat!

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 09-27-2004 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Do not discuss moderating issues on the boards and that includes bans.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:56 AM   #8
(female)

Sister HB UserSister HB User
Talking Re: acne & hair loss

I think a reason could be that your ovaries arn't producing as much estrogen as they used to, so the progesterone takes over and causes acne & hair loss. The cure is to take estrogen, but I'm afraid of it. Do you know if there is a hair loss thread on this board? Thanks.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:31 PM   #9

marcen HB User

My sister had a pit tumor removed 3 years ago. She developed it suddenly at age 15, and was finally diagnosed with Cushing's disease around 19. It was caused by a benign pituitary tumor. She had all the tests but they were unable to find it until they went in (through the nose) and removed it. For 4 years she had suffered with hair loss, darkening and growth of body hair, acne, and weight gain (bloating) as well as loss of periods. Within a month after her surgery, she looked like a different person. Her acne vanished, body hair disappeared and her hair grew in so thick that she can barely get a band around it now (beautiful hair!). Cushings is a horrible disease, and she is my hero because she went through all of that so courageously. It really dampened her teenage years, but she is a stunner now and making up for lost time! Just wanted to let you all know that these problems can be cured- it is all about finding the right doctors. GOod luck!

Old 09-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Wow so many Cushings people on one board and its so rare!!

Old 09-28-2004, 06:46 PM   #11

marcen HB User

I don't think it is that rare, at least not nearly as rare as many doctors think. I think it is just missed or misdiagnosed a lot of the time. My sister went to numerous doctors who said she was just "going through a stage" and yet prescribed numerous meds to suppress the symptoms.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

I recently - the last 9 months or so started getting acne. I attributed it to being prego. ( I gave birth in Feb) Then my hair started to fall out, ok, postpartum, happens to everyone! But my hair line was diappearing and when it took months for my period to come (no breastfeeding at all) I called the doc. They kept saying it takes a while for your body to bounce back. I had 2 other kids before and within 2 months I was ready to go! So after a few more months I called again and went in. Turns out I have hyperthyroid. Which is why I had so many symptoms insomnia, hair loss, no period, moodiness...tremendous sweating!! I also got an ultrasound done and it looks like I have PCOS. I would say get your thyroid checked!!! I am waiting to see what happens with PCOS to see if it's b/c of my thyroid or not. We aren't sure!

April

Old 09-30-2004, 07:16 AM   #13

align HB User

I found that cutting down dairy product such as mild, yugort etc can reduce ACNE.

Closed Thread