It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

am3 HB User
hypothyroid hair loss

I have bee hypo since December (tsh 63) and am now on Synthroid dosage of 137 mcg. My current tsh is at 8.7 and I have another visit to my endo in 2 weeks. Within the time frame of around 3 weeks I have started losing very large amounts of hair. I know from being a hair stylist I should be losing around 100 per day. Tonight I brushed my hair and counted 379 hairs in the brush! Also my hair line at the nape of my neck has raised about 1 1/2 inches. I also had a couple of stylist check the rest of my hair and I have an overall dimenished thickness throughout my scalp.
Has anyone else experienced this? Coud it be the synthroid? I am starting to get very concerned. I just don't know what to do because according to the nurse at the endo's office: "This is a normal occurance and you should see a difference in about 3 months." I feel like in 3 months I will have no hair left!!!
Please, any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:26 PM   #2

tracies HB User
Re: hypothyroid hair loss

I've had hairloss issues with thyroid disease in general - I lost hair while hyper, while hypo, and I see changes in hairloss if I change my synthroid dose. My hair fell out the most actually when I was hypER, which was one of the distressing first symptoms that I was having thyroid problems.

I've been dealing with thyroid disease for 2 years now, and with bouts of hair loss and I assure you I am no where near bald :-) I started out with thick hair and I was literally sweeping a dustpan chock full of hair off the bathroom floor every morning after I got ready in the morning, when the hairloss was at its worst. I notice that now my hair is filling in, I have lots of "baby hairs" coming in at the hair line, and my hair is softening up and less coarse and dry than it used to be, when it was at its worst.

I found that being super gentle with my hair when it was falling out a lot was key. I never wore ponytails, braids or barettes, I used an extra gentle shampoo and conditioner and I didn't shy away from brushing my hair because I know that stimulates growth, but I just treated my hair as gentle as I could during that worst time and didn't pull or tug at it, and I stayed away from chemical treatments as well. Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
(female)

am3 HB User

tracies,
Thanks for the reply. It helps to hear that I shouldn't be going bald any time soon. This has just been so stressful! It's hard to have clients trust you when you (their hair stylist) has horrible hair! I guess I just have to try to be patient.
Thank you again.

Old 03-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi,

I had what I frightfully called massive amount of hair loss before I was diagnosed as hypo as did other family members with thyroid problems. Now that synthroid has me back in tune, I still am loosing more than I think I should, but I notice tons of new growth as well, so I too hope not to go bald.

When Mother was having problems and we went so long without a diagnosis to the point she sustained heart damage, I read several books. As hair loss is one of the numerous indications of thyroid imbalance, especially with eyebrows. That was the thing that scared me as since reading those books I've noticed so many people, especialy men who have lost so much of their eyebrows, from the outside in. Do you ever notice that? Anyway, I will deal with the hair on my head a lot better than loosing my eyebrows.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
(female)

am3 HB User

Quietcook,
I was originally diagnosed with Graves Disease which originally left me with almost no bottom eye lashes. After I received my radioactive iodine treatment I lost the corners of my eyebrows. I actually dealt better with those. A few fake lashes and some brow shadow and I was set to go. I'm amazed at how one problem can be so different for each of us.
Luckily, we won't be running out to buy wigs any time soon...at least I hope not!
On a more serious note, I hope your mother is in good health and you are as well.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:31 PM   #6

tracies HB User

am3,
I also have the thinning of the outer eyebrows! I haven't had to tweeze my outer eyebrows for probably a year, when I used to tweeze them quite regularly before thyroid disease. It's so weird!

Old 03-26-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
(female)

am3 HB User

tracies,
I totally agree. I am in complete awe at how graves (1st)/hypothyroidism (2nd) can effect so many parts of your life, body, and mind.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
(female)

Razzy_Berry HB User

My hair loss with my thyroid issue has been devistating, I have a bald spot in the front area and I dont turn the bathroom light on anymore or look in a mirror because I cant take it. Also Diffuse thinning all over that was worsened with synthyroid. So I stopped taking it . I have to get new tests soon and Im going to ask my doctor for T3 because everything I read says thats the side of the thyroid equation that helps the hair come back. I think my eyelashes are falling out now also and I bought some talika eyelash stuff to help with those. Im going broke trying new things to help.

I used to have split ends but not anymore I guess because all that old split hair jsut fell out, now I just have thin hair all over. I can tell a major difference in the texture as well. I dont color it anymore. I use nioxin, take vitamins. Its ruined my life because I have no one to talk to and when you dont go anywhere because of it what else is there.

Its not falling out anymore that much but its not growing either. My nails are paperthin too.

Old 03-27-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
(female)

am3 HB User

Razzy_Berry,
I know exactly what you mean. I used to have such a wonderful head of hair...
now my pony tail is just a little larger thank my thumb diameter. I haven't tried any of the nioxin products, I am just trying to make it to my next dr. appointment to see if I can get something out of her.
I am curious about the synthroid connection, I read on their site that in some cases it can cause hair loss. Maybe I should seek an alternate medication.
As a side note, is it a problem if your endo isn't checking your free t3? Mine only runs the tsh and free t4. Since I am on a t4 medication shouldn't they be looking at how I am converting to t3? I am still so new to all of this, I just thought I'd ask.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
(female)

Razzy_Berry HB User

mine checked the total t3 but I trust him because there is more than one way to tell if your t3 is working, sometimes this board can mislead people and im sure doctors dont really appreciate people giving them advice based on something they read on a board. For me I think the hair loss is a product of several things going wrong simultaneously, this is why im trying some natural progesterone too.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:53 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by am3
Quietcook,
I was originally diagnosed with Graves Disease which originally left me with almost no bottom eye lashes. After I received my radioactive iodine treatment I lost the corners of my eyebrows. I actually dealt better with those. A few fake lashes and some brow shadow and I was set to go. I'm amazed at how one problem can be so different for each of us.
Luckily, we won't be running out to buy wigs any time soon...at least I hope not!
On a more serious note, I hope your mother is in good health and you are as well.

Hi,

Hope you are enjoying a better day today and will continue on that road. Thanks for wishing us well.

Thankfully, Mother and I are both doing much better. It took so long for the diagnosis and the extra damage that was done to her heart, that before she was diagnosed and brought under control she said she would rather be dead than feel as badly as she felt. Once diagnosed there was some improvement, then she went through the three open heart surgeries in less than 3 months. She has bounced back amazingly well for an 83 year young person. Even though she was within range on her labs three months ago, I told the doc she still wasn't herself, so he increased her meds a 1/2 a dose every other day and just this past week she was out helping me plant shrubs. Never thought I'd see that day again, but I'm so grateful. I can deal with my own hair loss although a bit vain. Because the thyroid is under control I am almost four months post-op a 10 level spine fusion and feeling quite well. Amazing what medicine can do for us when we manage to find really great doctors.

Closed Thread